From rom-coms to museum outings: The Echo's February picks

Music, movies and art handpicked by The Echo staff to get you through the month of love

the-echo-february-arts-guide.jpg

The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

It's a magical month for many. Hand-picked by The Echo staff, here are our music, movie and art recommendations that we hope will make your February fabulous.

Album of the month: "Bewitched" by Laufey

Laufey's magnum opus, the project that solidified her status in music after her rise to popularity, personifies February perfectly. Its mix of soul, vocal jazz and modern singer-songwriter aesthetics captures exactly what many modern listeners want to hear: genuine, personal lyrics that they can relate to while not succumbing to the TikTok-ified soundscape that many new singer-songwriters fall victim to.

Laufey has found an impressive niche while maintaining mainstream appeal, and her dramatic and lovesick anthems are built for February. Favorites include "Bewitched", "Must Be Love" and "Promise", but we promise this album is worth a full listen. From theater kids to Stevie Wonder fans, "Bewitched" should satisfy everyone who loves a good love song.

Rom-Coms

What's the month of love without a good rom-com? After a month of deliberation and changing of our Letterboxd ratings, we landed on these rom-coms to watch alone, with your friends or with a special someone.

READ MORE: Letterboxd is an alternative social media for film buffs and students

"Notting Hill" - Watch on Prime Video

"Notting Hill" is a silly yet endearing romance following a bookstore owner (Hugh Grant) and a famous actress (Julia Roberts). It's exceptionally British, tongue-and-cheek, and, most importantly, the lovers have great chemistry. It's almost sickeningly cute at times, but goofy lines balance out the romance to create an all-around elite rom-com. But before watching, be warned ... You may join the long line of those in love with 1999 Hugh Grant.

"10 Things I Hate About You" - Watch on Disney+

Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger star in perhaps the most iconic rom-com of the '90s, and maybe ever. It's a high school romance built on a bet, and also features Joseph Gordon-Levitt. What's not to like? Riddled with Shakespearean dialogue, incredible chemistry and iconic scenes, "10 Things I Hate About You" checks nearly every box a rom-com aims for. It's perfect for any setting or group of people.

The best of ASU's February Art Events

ASU Pride Prom

Dance the night away in the Cooley Ballrooms on the ASU Polytechnic campus on Friday, Feb. 9 for the ASU Pride Prom! The event will take place from 7-10 p.m. and will be themed as a '90s extravaganza. There will be DJs and dancing, '90s-inspired food and drinks, a photo booth and much more. Event security will also be present for the safety of all students. Everyone is welcome, and you can RSVP here to attend.

"Twin Flames: The George Floyd Uprising from Minneapolis to Phoenix" Art Exhibit

From Feb. 3 to July 28, ASU Art Museum presents "Twin Flames: The George Floyd Uprising from Minneapolis to Phoenix" in partnership with ASU's Center for Work and Democracy and the George Floyd Global Memorial. The exhibit provides commentary on public memorials in the U.S. and prompts consumers to think about what stories are shared and why. The exhibit is currently on display at the ASU Art Museum in Tempe.

"Beneath the breath of the sun" Art Exhibit

This exhibit, also at the ASU Art Museum this February, displays the work of installation artist Sarah Zapata. Zapata uses weaving, tufting and traditional craft techniques in her installations, which reflect her experiences as a queer woman of Peruvian heritage from Corpus Christi, Texas. "Sarah Zapata: Beneath the breath of the sun" opens Feb. 10 with a reception from 6–8 p.m. and runs through July 28 during museum hours.

State Press February Playlist

Last but not least, these are the songs that best represent the wonderful month of February. This playlist ties together both romantic songs for Valentine's Day and some tracks from under-appreciated Black artists for Black History Month.

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at adirst@asu.edu and follow @andrewdirst on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

×