A student guide to make the most of the 2024 MLB Spring Training in Arizona

Spring training is here and there are many different teams and stadiums for ASU students to visit in the Valley before opening day

Sports-Spring-Training-Guide

The outside of Sloan Park pictured on Friday, Feb. 23, 2024 in Mesa.

As spring training games begin across the Valley, students have a unique opportunity to enjoy a live baseball game a month before most people in the country. With 15 teams in nine stadiums from Goodyear to Scottsdale, there are many chances to see your favorite baseball team get some reps in before opening day.

Sloan Park

Sloan Park is the home of the Chicago Cubs' spring training. It is the closest training facility to the ASU Tempe campus, at only 3.9 miles away, or about a 10-minute drive. Sloan Park is the newest stadium in the Cactus League, opening in 2014.

Sloan is unique in a few different ways, Tempe native and baseball fan Casey Horn said.

"I feel like their lawn seating is pretty large," he said. "I like the whole vibe, as it's supposed to look like a miniature Wrigley Field, and I think that's kind of cool." 

Spring training games are already underway at Sloan Park until March 26. There are multiple different ticket options to attend games. General admission lawn seating tickets start in the upper $20s but can go all the way up to $39 for games against the St. Louis Cardinals, the Cubs' rival team. 

Other ticket options include the Budweiser Rooftop, a patio area with high-top seating, as well as outfield and bullpen reserved seating along the rows of traditional ballpark seats. 

Click here to see the full schedule. 

Tempe Diablo Stadium

Tempe Diablo Stadium is home to the Los Angeles Angels' spring training facilities, and it is only a 4.7-mile and 15-minute drive from the Memorial Union on ASU's Tempe campus.

What makes this stadium unique is how old and picturesque it is. This stadium was built in 1968 and saw renovations in 2005. The stadium, which overlooks resorts and buttes in the area, will be the home of the Angels until at least 2035. Similar to Mountain America Stadium, Tempe Diablo Stadium is built into a butte.

General admission grass area tickets start at $19 a piece, including fees.

Click here to see the full schedule. 

Scottsdale Stadium

Scottsdale Stadium, the home of the San Francisco Giants, is a 5.6-mile, 20-minute drive from the Tempe campus, located near the heart of Old Town Scottsdale.

The Old Town location and intimate seating arrangement make this ballpark a unique spring training location to attend.

With this unique location comes a higher price, as general admission lawn seating can range from $29 to $49.

Click here to see the full schedule. 

Hohokam Stadium

Hohokam Stadium in Mesa is the home of Oakland Athletics Spring Training and is a 7.3-mile, 20-minute drive from the Tempe campus. 

This stadium offers great visuals thanks to one of the larger score boards in the Cactus League, as well as affordable ticket options with lawn seating starting at $10. 

Click here to see the full schedule.

Salt River Fields

Salt River Fields at Talking Stick near Scottsdale is the spring training home for the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Colorado Rockies and is an 11.8-mile, 20-minute drive from ASU's Tempe campus. 

This facility was the first ever to be built on federally-designated Native American land, which is owned by Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community. It can hold 11,000 people and has 12 total practice fields.

Tickets for Diamondbacks games start as low as $25; tickets for Rockies games can be as low as $16.

Click here to see the full Diamondbacks schedule, and click here to see the full Rockies schedule. 

American Family Fields of Phoenix

American Family Fields of Phoenix is home to the Milwaukee Brewers spring training. The stadium is located in Phoenix and is a 19.4-mile, 30-minute drive from the Tempe campus. 

This stadium shares its name with the Brewers' home field in Milwaukee and holds over 7,000 fans. 

Tickets to games start at $12 for lawn seating, one of the most affordable options to catch a game in the area.

Click here to see the full schedule.

Camelback Ranch

Camelback Ranch is home to spring training for the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers. The stadium is located in Phoenix and is a bit of a hike away from campus, at a 27.3-mile, 40-minute drive from Tempe.

Coming to a game here would let you see some of the greatest baseball players in today's game, like the Dodgers' two-way player Shohei Ohtani and first baseman Freddie Freeman. 

Tickets for White Sox games start at $13 and tickets for Dodgers games start at $35. The cheapest ticket option for the Cubs and Dodgers game is currently $75. 

Click here to see the full schedule for both teams. 

Goodyear Ballpark

Goodyear Ballpark is the spring home of the Cleveland Guardians and the Cincinnati Reds. This stadium is a 32-mile, 40-minute drive from the Tempe campus. 

This ballpark can seat 9,500 people and has six luxury suites in the stadium. Catching a game here could let you see the Reds' third base phenom Elly De La Cruz.

Tickets for both team's games start at $10.

Click here for the Red's full schedule, and click here for the Guardian's full schedule. 

Peoria Sports Complex

Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria is home to the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres in the spring. The stadium is a 35.2-mile, 40-minute drive from the Tempe campus.

This stadium is at the heart of P83, Peoria's entertainment district. Catching a game here could let you see young stars like Mariners' center fielder Julio Rodríguez or Padres' right fielder Fernando Tatís Jr.

Tickets for Padres games start at $19 and Mariners tickets start at $17.

Click here for the Padres' full schedule, and click here for the Mariners' full schedule.

Surprise Stadium

Surprise Stadium is the spring training home to the Kansas City Royals and the reigning World Series champions, the Texas Rangers. It is a 40.5-mile, 55-minute drive from campus. 

This stadium opened in 2002 and can hold 10,500 fans. This stadium has the cheapest tickets in the Cactus League, starting at just $8 a ticket for both teams.

Click here to see the schedule for both teams. 

Living in the Phoenix area offers a unique ability to go see many baseball games for prices that often cannot be beaten during the regular season across the country.

"My favorite thing is being able to see your favorite players out there," Horn said. "You can also see some MLB prospects who could make their debut soon, so it's cool to be able to go see them play before they make it to the big leagues."

Edited by Shane Brennan, Sadie Buggle and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at hcorrado@asu.edu and follow @haydencorrado21 on X.

×