State Press Play: With age, comes new wisdom and friends

Plus, a look at a rising star in gymnastics and an environmental sustainability club at ASU

spp intergenerational.png

ASU junior Alysa Horton dancing with Frank Fitzhugh on Thursday, Aug. 3, 2023 in Nampa, Idaho. Additional illustration elements added on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024.

State Press podcast transcripts are produced by a third-party transcription service and may contain errors. The official record for State Press podcasts is the audio. Please listen to the audio as this transcript may only contain summary forms of the given episode.

Tyler Abrams:

Welcome back to the podcast! This week, we discuss the importance of intergenerational friendships.

Tate Daniels:

Also, we flip into a story on ASU gymnast Halle Gregoire. 

Tyler Abrams:

I’m Tyler Abrams.

Tate Daniels:

I’m Tate Daniels, and this is State Press Play.

Tyler Abrams:

Also, this week, we explored a club making an environmental impact. 

Tate Daniels:

But first...

Tyler Abrams:

Sun Devil Gymnastics had an outstanding third-place performance on Feb 2nd. One standout athlete among the team was freshman Halle Gregoire. State Press Sports Reporter Lauren Nuñez recently profiled Halle Gregoire and is here to talk with us today about her contributions to the team.

Thanks for coming on the podcast, Lauren.

Lauren Nuñez:

Thanks for having me.

Tyler Abrams:

Okay, Lauren. So ASU gymnastics recently placed third in what was a relatively successful tri-meet on February 2. How did Halle Gregoire's performance contribute to a success overall?

Lauren Nuñez: 

So she competed on floor that night and she scored a 9.850, which is pretty consistent for her. She's been scoring that same score for all of her meets before the Stanford one, so she kind of just stays with vault and floor. But on that specific meet, she just performed on floor and she was pretty good. She contributed very well to the team of that day.

Tyler Abrams:

And she's also coming in as an incoming freshman, right?

Lauren Nuñez:

Yes.

Tyler Abrams:

So obviously, she's one of the younger members of the squad. It's very senior heavy this year. How was her driving determination affected her first impressions with her team that's been filled a lot of veterans.

Lauren Nuñez:

So when she first came to ASU, she was super excited about how senior heavy the team actually was. She really looked forward to being guided by all this. And so it never really wasn't intimidating thing for her because she actually came with just a lot of excitement to learn from all these experienced competitors. So the team all came to her very welcoming not only just to Halle, but to all the other freshmen like getting to know one another as not only as teammates, but as friends over the summer. So she already created such a great bond with them before the season even started.

To hear more from Nuñez, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: ASU GYMNASTICS FRESHMAN HALLE GREGOIRE SETS FORWARD TOWARD A BREAKOUT FIRST SEASON

Tate Daniels:

Intergenerational friendships challenge societal stereotypes and biases associated with age. Breaking down these barriers fosters a better understanding and appreciation for personality rather than preconceived ideas about their age group. We sat with State Press Managing Editor Alysa Horton to explain her newfound friendship. Thanks for coming on the podcast, Alysa. 

Alysa Horton:

Thanks for having me.

Tate Daniels:

So what inspired you to write this story?

Alysa Horton:

I have found myself falling into cross generational or intergenerational friendships a lot. In high school, I worked for two years at an assisted living community. And that's kind of where it started. And when I started looking for a job in college, I knew I wanted to do something along the same track. It's fulfilling, I'm a waitress, but with people who I genuinely care about and who I genuinely enjoy being around. So now I'm working at Mirabella just off ASU and the people that I have met in both of these places have such incredible lives in incredible stories and anything I've done, they have done it already. And they are happy to give advice and the it's just been such a great experience to get to be around so many people of a different age group. And that's kind of what started this story for me.

Tate Daniels:

Why do you think it's important to make connections with people of older generations?

Alysa Horton:

One person who's really helped me understand why it's so important to make friends of an older generation is, his name's Bill. I'll talk about Bill a lot, I'm sure today. But Bill and I became friends through a scholarship program I'm in and we initially decided we were going to be pen pals with people at Mirabella. And Bill chose me because he also has a background in journalism. Bill and I have really learned a lot from each other. And it's been an really incredible way to get a new perspective on my life. And everything I'm trying to accomplish right now. He's done it, and he's so certain I'm going to be okay.

To hear more from Horton, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: This story will be published on Monday, Feb. 19. Stay tuned.

Nate Gyore:

Carbon emissions, natural disaster, climate change. These are topics on the minds of scientists and politicians across the planet. With issues as large as these, it can seem impossible for a single person, especially a college student, to make any meaningful change. But today, I’m sitting down with State Press Community Reporter Senna James, to learn about a club on our campus proving  just how much an ASU student can do to protect the environment.

Senna James:

Thanks for having me.

Nate Gyore:

Can you tell me a little bit more about this organization?

Senna James:

Yeah of course. So the environmental advocacy, restoration and technology for humanity club, also referred to as E.A.R.T.H Club, does a lot with teaching students how about sustainability and climate change. And they do a lot of workshops and collaborations with other organizations at ASU.

Nate Gyore:

What kinds of workshops and what kinds of collaborations?

Senna James:

So some of the workshops they have is teaching people how to crochet with plastic bags, which I thought was very fascinating, and they also taught people how to, not really taught, but they painted, on tote bags to promote not using plastic bags and using reusable bags instead. They also made body scrubs out of coconut oil, ground sugar and taught people how to make candles without actually going out to buy them.

To hear more from James, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: ASU CLUB FIGHTS CLIMATE CHANGE, ENVIRONMENTAL HARM WITH SUSTAINABLE HABITS

Tyler Abrams:

And that’s all for this week’s State Press Play. I’m Tyler Abrams.

Tate Daniels:

And I’m Tate Daniels. State Press Play is produced by our podcast desk editor, Gabriella Fernbaugh. Original music by Ellie Willard and Jake LeRoux.

Tyler Abrams:

Special thanks to our managing team, Alexis Heichman and Morgan Kubasko. 

Tate Daniels:

You can check out all these stories and more on statepress.com. See you next week, Devils!

×