Bands on campus: Inside the world of the budding artists next door

Bands and performances provide an escape from academic life for college students

The Echo-band-on-campus.jpg

"Being able to collaborate and be creative together, and then just seeing the impact that has on others, it's just such a beautiful thing."

When Emma Pivin, a junior studying human systems engineering, and Kamdon Block, a junior studying industrial design, aren't doing school work, they're making backyard music with their band Fondeux.

For students like them, being in a band is an artistic outlet, an escape from the rigorous ASU academic terrain and potentially a ticket to musical stardom. 

Fondeux released singles on Spotify and just hosted their first show in February from Block's backyard. Block said the band's genre is "a little pop, a little funk and a little rock."

Both Block and Pivin come from different music backgrounds, but their training doesn't influence the band's work to the extent that some might expect.

Block considers himself a "self-explorer". Formal music instruction when he was younger gave him the tools to create, but he said he was restricted from self-expression. Once he had more freedom, he could create on his own. 

Similarly, Pivin said the magic of instrumentation was stifled when there were rules and parental pressures. She took drum lessons when she was younger, but stopped in high school. Despite her musical background, she found being in a band gives her the most freedom to create on her own terms.  

"I stopped in high school, and since then, I've been trying to get back into it." Pivin said. "It kind of started when I found this letter I wrote myself when I was probably 11 or 12, and it was just talking about how much I love being creative and being able to express myself, especially with music. And so, that really inspired me to get back into it."

Bands like Fondeux don't just have a strong connection among the members, but also within the community of fans they play for. Block said he feels closer to ASU since forming this band only three months ago. 

"I've entered a social life that I actually appreciate, and something I felt I was missing from back home," Block said.

Riley Blocker, a sophomore studying popular music and French, is in the band Right Rosemary, which he said is "some sort of alternative rock band."

Like Block, he said he believes music strengthens his connection with his friends and the greater ASU community. Through being in the band, he said he feels like he’s found his people. 

Blocker and his four bandmates formed Right Rosemary in the summer of 2023, after bonding over their ASU experience — all but one of the band members are popular music students. 

The group didn't have anything specific in mind when they formed — just a love for performance.

"Over time, the vision has become clearer and more ambitious," Blocker said. 

At first, Blocker said the band was just a group of friends hanging out and making music. 

"But I think now we're getting pretty serious about wanting to write music, record music and play live shows, and we're making that happen," Blocker said. 

The band has already played gigs at the Rebel Lounge and on campus at the Memorial Union. Next up, they're set to perform in the Battle of the Bands finals. 

READ MORE: Annual music competition bands with ASU men's basketball to amplify attendance 

Balancing academia and music is not an easy feat, but the hard work can be rewarding. 

"All of our friends are there just smiling," Pivin after finishing Fondeux's first show. "Being able to collaborate and be creative together, and then just seeing the impact that has on others, it's just such a beautiful thing."

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Shane Brennan and Angelina Steel.

Reach the reporter at ebmosier@asu.edu and follow @eleribmosier on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

×