Get artsy this spring break with The Echo's March picks

Recommendations for music, activities and bingeable TV shows this month

The Echo-march-arts-guide.png

The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

Finally, spring break is here. Whether you're taking a road trip with friends, going home to see your family or sitting in bed and rotting, these are The Echo's picks to kick off spring.

Album of the month: "channel ORANGE" by Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean's modern classic is set to turn 12 this year, but its aesthetic still holds true today. At 17 tracks and 55 minutes, "channel ORANGE" packs in just about everything you could want out of a soundtrack for your spring. The mix of contemporary R&B, soul and more often feels just like the sun peeking through on a gloomy March day. You'll get glimpses of heartbreak and longing but also love and joy. That sounds like a successful spring break to us! 

You just really can't go wrong with anything Frank Ocean. Whether you're spending your time at home or getting "Lost" on a road trip with friends, the album's engrained nostalgia shines through to make lasting memories wherever you listen. Favorites include hits like "Thinkin Bout You", as well as cult classics like "Pink Matter" and "Bad Religion". 

TV Shows to binge over break

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" (2005)

Now is absolutely the time to revisit the classic series, especially if you're thinking about tuning in to Netflix's new live-action adaptation. The 2005 animated series may seem like just a kids' show, but it's a lot more. Filled to the brim with fun, action and memorable characters, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" caters to almost any kind of viewer, and might become your new favorite show. 

Its world-building is a marvel to behold and every aspect comes together in its short 20-minute episodes over just three seasons. Once you're hooked, your free time will quickly become filled with episode after episode of this series. Be warned: Iroh will make you cry. It's available to watch on Netflix, Prime Video, Paramount Plus and more. 

"Andor"

The Star Wars burnout is real, we know, but don't sleep on this 2022 drama. "Andor" brought back exactly what Star Wars can be: a gritty political drama. In just 12 episodes across one season, "Andor" showcases masterful world-building, character arcs and intrigue as it delves into the true tyranny and atrocities of the Galactic Empire.

Its political messages are genuine and intricate, and the performances given by Diego Luna (Cassian Andor), Stellan Skarsgård (Luthen Rael), Andy Serkis (Kino Loy) and, well, everyone else on the cast are incredible and make the show feel real. "Andor" is one of the most acclaimed short series of the last few years and its upcoming season two is something to look forward to as well. The moral of the story: Stellan Skarsgård never misses.

"Abbott Elementary"

"Abbott Elementary" is a mockumentary comedy that follows a public elementary school in Philadelphia. Its first season premiered in 2021, and its third season is currently releasing weekly on ABC. The entire cast is memorable and hilarious, headlined by Quinta Brunson (Janine) and Tyler James Williams (Gregory). 

Every episode further explores the characters' lives and has countless laughs along the way. The mockumentary style obviously lends a lot of comparison to NBC's "The Office", but "Abbott Elementary" absolutely forges a lane of its own. Once you start, it will be hard to stop watching this silliness fest.

Arts experiences

Tempe Festival for the Arts

No need to leave town this spring break, you can experience excellent art and entertainment a quick walk away from campus. From March 8-10, the award-winning art festival will take over Mill Avenue. Tempe Festival for the Arts will feature shopping from local vendors, food, drinks, live entertainment and even an enchanted forest-themed chalk art show. Bonus: this is a dog-friendly event! No tickets are needed, you can just show up to the same place you usually would on the weekend for a very different experience. 

'Barbie: A Cultural Icon' at the Phoenix Art Museum

Hop on the light rail and head up to McDowell and Central Avenue, and then take a quick walk to the Phoenix Art Museum for its 'Barbie: A Cultural Icon' exhibit. Travel through the history of Barbie and enjoy interactive sections and places for photo ops. Sadly, there is no Ryan Gosling exhibit, but you can still have a great time walking through this piece of history. After, enjoy the extensive art collection that the Phoenix Art Museum has to offer. 

State Press March Playlist

If you are planning on getting out and taking an awesome trip, good for you, you're better than everyone else. We know that's what you want to hear. Here are The Echo's curated music picks for your vacation over this spring break in our signature monthly playlist.

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Alysa Horton and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at adirst@asu.edu and follow @andrewdirst on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

×