Push through the end of the semester with The Echo's April picks for music, events and more

Catch up on the best creative events, study music and new releases this month

The Echo-april-arts-guide.png

The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

April may be a month lacking in undoubted identity, but with ASU's Pride Week, March Madness festivities and Poetry Month, there's still plenty of art to enjoy. From in-person events to study music to our hand-picked monthly playlist, you're in the safe hands of The Echo.

Album of the month: "Calico" by Ryan Beatty

This album is everything. It doesn't matter what time of year you listen, but the music feels especially April right now. Ryan Beatty crafted a legitimate masterpiece last year, and it absolutely needs more love. Through indie-folk, singer-songwriter styling, "Calico" is astonishingly beautiful at all turns. Tracks like "White Teeth," "Andromeda" and "Cinnamon Bread" are favorites, guaranteed to transport you to another world.

Beatty is especially relevant right now with writing credits on Beyoncé's newly-released album "COWBOY CARTER." The time is now to listen to "Calico," and there's no chance you'll regret it.

READ MORE: New songs like Beyoncé's 'TEXAS HOLD 'EM' highlight country music's pop shift

End-of-semester outings:

Friday Night Poetry Slam

Feeling extra artsy? Head to Social Sciences 105 on Friday, April 19, at 6 p.m. for the second annual poetry slam hosted by Devil's Inkwell. You can listen to poetry, write and perform your own, and network with other writers and creatives. The event will last until 8 p.m. Aspiring writers, don't miss out!

Pride Week at ASU

From April 8-12, ASU will celebrate Pride Week, featuring a plethora of events across ASU's campuses. From a downtown drag show on April 9 to a craft and movie night on April 11, there's an event for just about everyone. Head to the Thrive AS U are site to see all the events you can attend.

March Madness Music Festival

A huge music lineup is coming to downtown for the March Madness Music Festival. Located in Margaret T. Hance Park from April 5 to 7, the festival will feature Zedd, Reneé Rapp and Remi Wolf, the Jonas Brothers, Mumford & Sons, The Black Keys, Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Leon Bridges. The event is free, but the queue starts at 7 a.m. each day of the festival.

READ MORE: How to access free student tickets to the Men's Final Four Fan Fest

Best study tunes:

Yes, it is somehow the last month of the semester. You may have coasted since spring break, but it's time to lock in. Finals will be here soon, and there's a lot of work to finish before then. These picks will inspire you and give you the focus needed to finally stop procrastinating.

"Oppenheimer (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)" by Ludwig Göransson

It may be a bit corny at this point, but we don't care. If you ever want to feel like a genius as you "write" your essay (probably just the title), songs like "Can You Hear The Music" will take you there instantly. "Oppenheimer" made physics cool and can make your homework cool, too. Ludwig Göransson's incredible composing and the soundtrack's aesthetics make for the ideal study situation for you this April. You could even put on the entire movie in the background while you work; why not?

"Promise" by Sade

This is a great album, not just background noise, so don't get it twisted. But something about the grandiose brass paired with Sade's smooth and incredible vocals creates the ambiance needed to find your zone. "Promise" has a perfect groove and a striking atmosphere that may also leave jazz and soul lovers distracted by its greatness. Either you get work done, or you find your new favorite album. Sounds like a win-win.

"Alfredo" by Freddie Gibbs and The Alchemist

Keeping with the theme of beautiful production is the masterful beat-making from The Alchemist on every song of this 2019 album. From sprinkling piano leads to life-altering guitar loops, this project has it all. Freddie Gibbs floats on every beat he touches, too, and this duo will put you in an unmatched mental state throughout its 35-minute runtime. Just like "Promise," we will give no guarantee you won't fall in love with this album.

April Playlist:

While 2024 had felt like a slow year for music for the first couple of months, the last few weeks have made up for it. These are our picks for the best new music you need to be aware of, from the queen to some up-and-coming artists.

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Walker Smith and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at adirst@asu.edu and follow @andrewdirst on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

×