Newman Center prepares for change in administration

Changes to the administration of the All Saints Catholic Newman Center on East University Drive and South College Avenue are coming in July, as the Dominican Order of Preachers steps down for the incoming diocesan priests.

Bishop Thomas Olmsted, of the Dioceses of Phoenix, announced the arrival of the diocesan priests last year, and as the time for change nears, many church patrons are coming together to celebrate the Dominicans’ 40-year history at the Newman Center.

“Olmsted had been trying for a while to get a Catholic college started here,” said Father James Thompson, the current director of the ASU Newman Center. “Those efforts didn’t work and now he’s changed his focus.”

Olmsted announced in August that the Dominicans will be relieved of their duties at the Newman Center in July, and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix priests will take over.

The change is the result of Olmsted’s new initiative to reach out to University students through campus ministries.

“The Dominican Order has impacted ASU and Tempe for 40 years,” said Katherine N. Campbell, an ASU alumna and member of the community. “They have been so loved and appreciated and valued. Why should anything change?”

Campbell’s attitude reflects that of many other community members, who appreciate the work of the Dominicans and wish to recognize their contributions.

Campbell is attempting to convince the bishop to renew the Dominicans’ administration, but has received no positive response.

A diocese is a geographical region of the church, presided over by a bishop. The former bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix granted the Dominican Order appointment to the campus ministry more than 40 years ago.

“There’s all these students and there’s only two campus ministries,” Thompson said, referring to the Newman Centers at both ASU and NAU. “[Olmsted] just thought basically that he’d have his own priests running [the Newman Center]. And that way he’d have … both Newman Centers on the same page, so to speak. A unified front.”

The diocesan administration begins this summer, as Father Robert Clements’ term as the new director of the Newman Center officially begins on June 1. Thompson’s last day will follow two weeks later in order to better facilitate the transition.

The Dominicans are widely recognized as the Order of Preachers due to their “fabulous ability to preach,” Campbell said.

Campbell, who first became involved with the Newman Center in 1974, said the Dominicans made her feel like she was valued.

“The Dominicans take a very personal interest in students,” Campbell said. “It’s so heartbreaking that they were asked to leave the Diocese of Phoenix.”

ASU student and campus ministry intern for the Newman Center Stephanie Maselko said that while she will miss the Dominican Order, the changes will allow for new opportunities.

“I’m sad to see the priests who I’ve come to know and who I’ve worked with leave,” Maselko said. “I’m excited looking forward too, though. I’m excited for our new leadership … and the doors that will be opened to our ministry by a stronger connection to the Diocese of Phoenix.”

The Newman Center will hold an event called Dominicans Through the Decades today at 5 p.m., which will highlight the history of the Dominican Order at ASU, as well as a “Mass on the Grass” and musical performances.

Past directors of the Newman Center will speak briefly about their time spent there, and all of the Dominicans who were a part of the Center were invited to return.

Maselko, a marketing senior, began attending the Newman Center her freshman year.

“The Dominicans have been a huge blessing to our community here,” she said.

Maselko called Thompson’s contributions to the students “beautiful.”

“We students are always asking about our faith and seeking answers,” she said, “and he’s able to help us ask those questions and find those answers.”

As the days wind down, Thompson said he’s working hard to keep everything in order at the Newman Center.

“[We’re] trying to nurture and bring the congregation along,” Thompson said, and leaders will continue to reach out to students on campus. “The mission hasn’t changed here.”

Reach the reporter at joseph.schmidt@asu.edu

×