Downtown Dispatch: Matt's Big Breakfast & Giant Coffee

Giant Coffee. Photo by Chelsea Brown.
Giant Coffee. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

Not too far from the ASU Downtown campus is two of local restaurant owner Matt Pool's greatest creations, Matt's Big Breakfast and Giant Coffee.

Located on the corner of First and McKinley streets, Matt's Big Breakfast offers breakfast and lunch in a tiny, retro-inspired diner. Menu items include plate-sized waffles, egg and meat plates, frosted flakes, daily specials, fresh-squeezed orange juice, honey lemonade, etc., and with lunch beginning at at 11 a.m., the menu opens up to offer egg salad sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, burgers, chili, daily specials and more. Everything that I have personally tried at Matt's has been delicious, and definitely worth the walk or ride down to the area. However, if you plan on eating at Matt's, don't be in a rush. Usually Matt's gets pretty busing in the mornings, and the wait can be up to an hour for a table (been there), but generally around lunch time, the crowd has died down and you can just walk in and take a seat.

Matt's Big Breakfast is open Tuesday through Sunday, 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Only a few short months ago, Pool opened his highly anticipated coffee shop, Giant Coffee. Giant is located off of First Street and McDowell Road and offers some of the best coffee in town. Giant uses Four Barrel Coffee and serves organic milk. They also offer a variety of delicious pastries, and if you go in after 3 p.m. you can get them at a half-off price (a pastry happy hour of sorts). Giant also has a large seating area, and is located in the same building as Bunky Boutique. Generally, Giant is pretty quiet and a great place to sit and get some studying done. (Are finals really only next month?!)

Giant Coffee is open Tuesday through Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

So if you're in the need of a good filling breakfast, or just a little energy boost, Matt's Big Breakfast or Giant Coffee has just what you need.

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×