Downtown Dispatch: The Trunk Space

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yelstin at the Trunk Space. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

In high school, I was very anti-radio (I guess I still really am), and I listened to a lot of bands that were either local or too small to be on the radio. (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a music snob.) Anyway, most of the bands I wanted to see always played at a local venue called the Trunk Space. The Trunk Space is a tiny venue off of Grand and Roosevelt in Phoenix that caters to small bands, artists, and coffee drinkers. Unfortunately, in high school I never made it out to the Trunk Space, but as I got older, I still always heard about shows that went on there and stories from my friends that had went there.

Recently, I went to the Trunk Space to see one of my favorite bands, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, and was happily surprised about how laid back the venue was, and how close I felt to the band.

The venue is super small and kind of a weird shape. (The old building is pretty neat though.) But being able to stand five feet away from your favorite band is pretty awesome. Although the sound quality wasn't that great, I was still able to hear the bands incredibly well, and was pretty impressed with the crowd (no shoving, just dancing and giving each other space).

The Trunk Space also had some great art on display and offered lattes, cupcakes, and vintage goods to browse through while you waited during set changes.

So if you're ever in need of something to do on a Friday or Saturday night, my suggest would be to check out the Trunk Space calendar, see who's playing that night and go to a show that will give you a good, warm kind of feeling inside.

The Trunk Space is located at 1506 NW Grand Ave.

Also, don't forget that this Friday is the 5th annual Frances Crafeteria that will feature over 40 indie crafters selling 100 percent handmade goods, as well live music and treats and drinks from Urban Cookie, Press Coffee, Butter & Me, etc. Crafeteria is from from 6 to 10 p.m., and is located in the parking lot of Frances at 10 W. Camelback Rd.

×