Live and Otherwise: Your Spring Break Mix

The birds are singing, the sky is blue, and all you can think about are the exciting things you plan to do while on the miraculous hiatus known as spring break. As the weather warms up, the tendency to relax and do nothing wars with the necessity to actually get assignments and homework completed. Fortunately, while either lounging in front of the pool, or in front of a computer screen there’s always sure to be some musical numbers wafting in the background. There are a ton of songs perfect for either activity, but here are some of my picks inspired by the madness of the month of March. Enjoy!

1. “Houdini” by Foster The People A great upbeat melody from a band that seems to be a mixture of MGMT, a sunnier perspective on things, with a little bit of Chromeo sprinkled on top.

2. “It Will all End in Tears” by The Drums The Drums' beautiful confections of dreamy, beach pop goodness never  fail to take me away from the stresses of everyday going on’s.

3. “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero’s This great track that sounds as if it should have come from the 1960’s-early seventies (and in fact its from 2009) is one of those classic songs that spread a beautiful message. That even if its a staycation on the couch with no money to do much better, the real experience is sharing the time with the people who’s company you keep.

4. “Cameras” by Matt & Kim As usual Matt & Kim are a necessity for catchy songs that you can dance around like a maniac to. So even if you didn’t make it to a packed dancefloor in South B each or Vegas, you can still have your own personal dance party in the sanctity of your own home.

5. Riot Rhythm by Sleigh Bells Noise pop at its finest, Sleigh Bells is a whole lot of sound in under three minutes. Think of it as the roller coaster that you won’t get to ride this break. It will get your heart racing (in a totally awesome way).

×