Campus club 'sparks' children's college aspirations

A campus club hopes to spark young students’ interest in higher education.

Members of ASU’s Sparks, founded in 2004, mentor children from 5th to 10th grade.

Criminal justice junior Eric Tycksen is going on his second year as a member of the Sparks club.

“I have gained a passion for promoting higher education that I never thought I would have,” he said.

The Sparks club intends to increase awareness of educational opportunities, Educational Outreach Coordinator Nicole Bostic said.

Bostic was a first-generation student herself.

She said she only wished someone had been there to help her make choices about college.

Bostic wrote her master’s thesis on the difference between first- and second-generation college students because she thinks there is a difference in their thought processes.

She said while all her friends’ parents asked where their children would go to college, her parents asked if she would go to college.

One of the main ways Sparks reaches out to young students is by bringing groups of three to five ASU students to speak to schools.

Members of the Sparks club attend events to connect and become a stronger group, Bostic said.

The Sparks club is always looking for students to join in their efforts, Bostic said.

“One more member means at least one more person reached,” she said.

Biochemistry sophomore Dustin Weigele said he remembers when the Sparks club came to his high school in Chandler.

Two engineering majors came to his math class and explained why the information they were learning was relevant.

The ASU students encouraged Weigele and his classmates to look into opportunities at ASU.

Bostic said everything came full circle when she hired Weigele as an intern for the Sparks club this semester.

Weigele said he looks forward to educating students about their opportunities.

Supply chain management sophomore Neil Guiang serves as treasurer of the Sparks club.

“It feels great meeting kids and seeing many of them show up at ASU,” he said.

Last year the club spoke to 9,000 children. This year, they hope to raise that number to 15,000.

The club has 60 events planned for this semester.

Biological science senior and Sparks member Felicia Rendon said she learned lessons through Sparks as well.

“I have gained public speaking skills and experience talking to younger children,” Rendon said.

Students can find more information on the Sparks website.

Reach the reporter at hblawren@asu.edu

×