Students study, teach abroad with Fulbright Scholarship Program

ASU Alumni and Fulbright scholars Ali Anderson and Sarah Slagle pose for a picture in Gyeongju, South Korea. (Photo courtesy of Sarah Slagle)

Many students who received a national scholarship to travel abroad during college maintain memories years later.

The Fulbright Scholarship Program gives students the opportunity to study or teach in one of more than 140 countries for a full academic year, said Janet Burke, ASU’s associate dean for national scholarship advisement.

“The Fulbright Scholarship is one of the most prestigious (scholarships) students can receive,” Burke said.

Students who receive the scholarship can work on a master’s thesis, study at a university or teach English.

Those selected to teach English in a foreign country serve as classroom aides and give presentations on life in the U.S. and offer insight as a native English speaker.

Burke said she attended an event in Washington, D.C. about five years ago to honor Craig Barrett, the namesake of Barrett, the Honors College, as well as two other Fulbright alumni.

As she listened to the Fulbright alumni speaking at the event, Burke said she realized that each of their Fulbright experiences still had a huge impact on them even though they had become so much more successful.

“It’s life-changing,” she said.

Construction and facilities project management Ph.D. student Kristen Barlish won a Fulbright Scholarship to Politecnico di Torino, a university located in Turin, Italy.

“My life will never be the same,” she said in an email.  “The individuals and situations I experienced overseas shaped me into the person I am today.”

Barlish said she learned so much, not only about the host country, but also about herself and the U.S.

“It’s kind of like taking off the blinders from your eyes and experiencing the world again, with a fresh perspective,” she said.

Barlish said students should initiate collaboration with other students and professors in researching global opportunities to become more engaged.

“ASU gave me the tools and amazing advisers, such as Dr. Burke,” Barlish said. “However, it was up to me to utilize those tools and build something that was really amazing and unforgettable.”

English education graduate student Sarah Slagle said she initially thought getting a scholarship through Fulbright was far-fetched.

She won a Fulbright Scholarship to teach English in South Korea in 2009.

“Going with Fulbright let me see Korea in a new perspective,” she said.

Slagle represented the U.S. in the World Expo in Korea this summer and said she wanted to return because she had a great experience in Korea the first time.

Slagle said applying for the Fulbright scholarship was a long process, but she encourages students to take advantage of these international opportunities by getting information on how to apply from professors or the scholarship’s website.

Reach the reporter at hblawren@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @hannah_lawr

×