Twitter newcomers: Who should you follow?

Many people create Twitter accounts to stay connected to their friends or follow their favorite celebrity. However, when people only follow their best buds, a terrible vacuum of retweets and useless information is created. A good Twitter homepage should be full of intrigue and knowledge as well as reflect the user's interests. Fortunately, there are still wholesome, entertaining and informative accounts that newcomers have yet to discover. Before running to follow the Kardashian sisters or Tyler, the Creator, check out this selection of the top five best accounts for Twitter newbies.

1.Steve Martin (@SteveMartinToGo)

Steve Martin updates his account regularly, which is interesting, because Martin rarely tweets to promote himself. Instead, he uses his limited characters to send out punch lines, eccentric thoughts and replies to his fans. Sample tweet: “Birthday going well; surprised that there was no surprise party.”

2. Lil B from the Pack (@LILBTHEBASEDGOD)

The advantages of following Lil B are insurmountable. Not only do you get to read his words of encouraging wisdom, but usually five or six random people start following you seconds after you click the follow button. Sample Tweet: “I LOVE BEING ALIVE AND I LOVE SEEING THAT YOUR ALIVE HAVE A GREAT DAY BECAUSE YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!! I LOVE YOU!! – Lil B."

3. Ezra Koenig (@arzE)

Ezra Koenig, member of the indie group Vampire Weekend, tweets a lot. By a lot, just check out the staggering 6,196 tweets on his page. Koenig interacts with his followers as he broadcasts his quirky hobbies. Sample Tweet: “I tell my date I’m shazam’ing the jazz but, truthfully, I am doing late night twitter."

4. CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk)

It might seem frivolous to follow a news organization unless you are a journalism major, but CNN Breaking News reports on everything from Miley Cyrus to the economy. The organization even includes full links to the original story in its tweets. There is something on this account for everyone. Sample Tweet: “British Parliament set to vote on Syria debate on.cnn.com/1cldY4G.”

5. Shaq (@SHAQ)

Shaq accompanies nearly all of his tweets with an Instagram photo or a short video. He makes sure his personality shines through in his tweets, and he is sure to entertain. Sample Tweet: “Crissangel angel levitate me or I will release #SHAQMAGIC on you."

Contact the reporter at sjochoa@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SenoritaSyd

×