Watch the books you've read

(Photo courtesy of Entertainment One.)
(Photo courtesy of Entertainment One.)

Each blockbuster season is accompanied by a smattering of book-to-film adaptations, and this year is no exception. Hollywood has gravitated toward novels of which most people have heard or read, hoping to acquire viewers through the literary fandoms.

"The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones"

Released Aug. 21, “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” has gained a huge fan base with Cassandra Clare’s book series, topping many charts and becoming a cult favorite. The film stars Lily Collins as Clary Fray and Jaime Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland as they battle creatures in a realm that lies in the shadows of Earth. What looks to be one of the most promising movies of the bunch, “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones” is certainly one to read and watch.

"Ender's Game"

Hitting the big screen on Nov. 1 is Orson Scott Card’s famous novel, read by most middle school kids, “Ender’s Game.” This futuristic flick is set 70 years after an alien war that desecrated the world, where a gifted child is sent to an advanced military academy to prepare for another attack. With Viola Davis, Harrison Ford and Abigail Breslin as the top-billed cast, this movie could be a definite hit. 

"Divergent"

One of the biggest book adaptions of the year is the first installment of Veronica Roth’s “Divergent” series. This motion picture is set to hit the big screen on March 21, 2014, and it stars a handful of household names, such as Shailene Woodley (“The Secret Life of the American Teenager”) and Kate Winslet, along with the adorable Miles Teller — who is best known for 2011's “Footloose.” The “Divergent” plot unfolds during an ultramodern age in which people are divided based on their personalities. A teenager is warned that she is "Divergent" and will never fit into a group, and she is put into mortal danger when she discovers a plan that will destroy all "Divergents" like herself. This film looks to be a very promising one that will certainly draw in "The Hunger Games" crowd. This series is certainly one to read and watch.

"The Book Thief"

“The Book Thief,” originally written by Markus Zusak, is being adapted into a feature film set to make its big screen debut Nov. 15. The story follows a young girl who steals books and shares them with others in Germany during World War II. This film is creatively narrated by Death. "The Book Thief" stars several foreign actors, including Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson. This film will most likely be a hit among critics, but with audiences it is debatable. 

"The Maze Runner"

James Dashner's "The Maze Runner" is another work of literature set to hit the big screen this year. With it's big premiere on Feb. 14, 2014, "The Maze Runner" is set in a post-apocalyptic world where a young teen is stripped of his memory and placed in a community with other boys his age. The boys come to find out that they are trapped in an intricate maze designed to fence them in. The story highlights their heroic plan for escape in this exciting adventure flick. "The Maze Runner" stars Dylan O'Brien of "Teen Wolf" and looks to be a great adventure movie.

It’s shaping up to be a good blockbuster season with the addition of these book adaptions that fans will love; hopefully they will not disappoint.

Reach the reporter at andangel@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @andangelo15

×