ASU golfer Jon Rahm to play in 2015 Phoenix Open

Junior Jon Rahm Rodriguez watches to see if his putt will find the whole during the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on April 7, 2013. Rahm is preparing to participate in the Phoenix Open (Photo by Murphy Bannerman)

Junior Jon Rahm Rodriguez watches to see if his putt will find the whole during the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on April 7, 2013. Rahm Rodriguez led the Sun Devils with a score of -1. (Photo by Murphy Bannerman) Junior Jon Rahm Rodriguez watches to see if his putt will find the hole during the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on April 7, 2013. Rahm Rodriguez led the Sun Devils with a score of -1. (Murphy Bannerman/The State Press)

Junior Jon Rahm has not played a round of golf for ASU in 2015 yet, but it's already an exciting year for the No. 3 amateur in the world.

The Waste Management Phoenix Open announced Tuesday night that Rahm has received the second of five sponsor exemptions to play in its upcoming invitational.

2014 was great for Rahm, who won the individual title at the World Amateur Team Championship and broke Jack Nicklaus's tournament record while representing his home country of Spain. Rahm also took the individual title while playing for ASU at the Bill Cullum Invitational in October, breaking the tournament record.

According to a press release, Phoenix Open Tournament Chairman Danny Calihan and The Thunderbirds had five exemptions to give. They gave the first to Ireland’s Padraig Harrington in December and will announce the remaining three in the next few weeks.

The 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open is set to begin on Jan. 26 at TPC Scottsdale.

Reach the reporter at wslane@asu.edu or follow @bill_slane on Twitter.

×