ASU track and field heads to Albuquerque for Indoor New Mexico Invitational

Then-junior high-jumper Edmond Baker clears the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday, April 12, 2014. ASU travels to Albuquerque for the New Mexico Invitational this weekend. (Photo by Becca Smouse)

Then-junior high-jumper Edmond Baker clears the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday, April 12, 2014. ASU travels to Albuquerque for the New Mexico Invitational this weekend. (Photo by Becca Smouse) Then-junior high-jumper Edmond Baker clears the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday, April 12, 2014. ASU travels to Albuquerque for the New Mexico Invitational this weekend. (Photo by Becca Smouse)

The ASU track and field team goes to New Mexico on Saturday for the Indoor New Mexico Collegiate Invitational.

The Sun Devils will be competing against more than 20 different NCAA track and field teams in the Albuquerque Convention Center in downtown Albuquerque.

ASU faced stiff opposition in last week’s Indoor Texas A&M; Quadrangular and the team looks to bounce back strong against slightly easier competition this week.

Of the 10 teams competing, only three (No. 11 Alabama men, No. 12 Kansas State women and the No. 21 UCLA women) are ranked in the top 25 by the U.S Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

While the Sun Devils had a lackluster performance as a whole, there were many individual successes last week in College Station.

“The goal is always to get better," coach Greg Kraft said. "You can only measure your progress against yourself.”

Numerous ASU track and field athletes did just that last week. Many had some of their best times at the Texas A&M; Quadrangular and look to continue that success heading into the weekend.

Senior Brianna Tate set a personal best in the 200-meter with a time of 24.53, while her freshman 4x400 relay teammate Melese Crozier set her personal best in the 400-meter with a time of 56.68. Both of them will try to progress their times in New Mexico on Saturday

The women’s 3,000-meter was huge for both Sun Devils competing in it last weekend. Junior Adriana Olivas set a personal best time of 9:32.93 while senior Shelby Houlihan won the event with a personal best time of 9:03.71, which set an ASU record for that event. With career best times for both, Houlihan and Olivas look to be in top form early in the season heading into this week’s meet.

Sophomore CJ Albertson had a huge day as well, setting a personal best in the men’s 3,000-meter with a time of 8:15.04. Albertson will have a tough test this weekend in the 3,000-meter, as he will go up against UTEP’s Anthony Rotich who won the NCAA 2014 Indoor Championship in the mile run.

The Sun Devils did well on the field last week, with senior Alex Hartig setting a personal best of 15.56 meters in the weight throw. She will also be up against considerable competition in UCLA’s Ida Storm who is tops in the country at the weight throw this year.

Freshman pole-vaulter Kristiana Warth set her personal record at the Quadrangular with a vault of 3.55 meters as well.

At the Friday Night Dual two weeks ago in Flagstaff, senior Kyle Lillie set his personal record with a throw of 18.09 meters.

On his mindset heading into this week and every event, Lillie said he tells himself, “Calm down, you know what you have to do, just get in the ring and do it.”

His philosophy rings true for ASU this weekend in New Mexico and for the rest of the season. The Sun Devils know what they need to do. Now they just have to go out there and do it.

Reach the reporter at tjwilkin@asu.edu or follow @Twilkins23 on Twitter.

×