ASU men's basketball retires James Harden's number

Houston Rockets shooting guard James Harden displays an award on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. Harden, a former ASU basketball standout, was honored at halftime for his achievements both with the Sun Devils and in the NBA. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Houston Rockets shooting guard James Harden displays an award on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. Harden, a former ASU basketball standout, was honored at halftime for his achievements both with the Sun Devils and in the NBA. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Houston Rockets shooting guard James Harden displays an award on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. Harden, a former ASU basketball standout, was honored at halftime for his achievements both with the Sun Devils and in the NBA. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

A packed Wells Fargo Arena welcomed the return of one of it’s most famous alumni: James Harden.

The Houston Rockets guard made his return to his alma mater following the all-star break before heading to Texas to play the Dallas Mavericks on Friday.

“Our university, our athletics department, and certainly our basketball program, and the entire Sun Devil community is enormously proud of James.” ASU coach Herb Sendek said.

Harden is currently leading the NBA in points per game with 27.4, and is a front-runner for the most valuable player award this season.

“We all knew he was good,” Sendek said. “If we’re honest with each other, there is nobody who thought at this young of an age he literally would be in the conversation for MVP in the NBA, he'd be one of the very best player on the planet, already have a gold medal. Its mind boggling what he is doing.”

During his time at ASU Harden averaged 19 points a game while averaging 50.6 percent from the field, 37.6 percent from deep, and 75.5 percent from the free throw line.

Video by Marc Steiner | Sports Reporter

Harden entered the arena to loud cheers and a standing ovation from the those in attendance. He took the opportunity to take pictures with the 942 Crew, who had donned James Harden beards for the occasion.

“The thing that makes me feel so good inside is he hasn't changed,” Sendek said. “He's exactly the same guy he as was when he was here before all these successes. And when he was here he was a regular student. You'd see him with his backpack and he was always nice to everybody. He's a gentleman. He just represents us the right way. We are obviously really proud.”

Harden would witness the Sun Devils put up a good first half fight, with ASU only trailing by four.

At the half the lights would dim, and a special tribute to Harden would air on the Jumbotron, highlighting his time with the Sun Devils as well highlights from his current Rockets.

Harden would be center court, receiving a framed jersey, as well as a standing ovation from the fans.

Harden would reminisce about his time at ASU, as well as the impact his mother had on his life.

The ceremony would conclude with the revealing of Harden’s No. 13 jersey in the rafters, hanging next to the American flag and Alton Lister’s No. 53 jersey.

Harden would watch his old team fight in a close matchup between UCLA, where the Sun Devils would win by two points.

“It was a pleasure having him on the sideline,” sophomore forward Savon Goodman said. “I think that definitely boosted our team’s energy knowing that we had our alumni. He's an NBA superstar, leading the NBA in scoring, supporting us.”

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or follow @MarcTSteiner on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×