The latest battle of abortion rights is happening in the Arizona Legislature, where the state House on Monday approved a controversial bill.

Senate Bill 1318, introduced by Sen. Nancy Barto, R-Phoenix, has three major components: ensuring abortion clinics meet proper standards and licensing requirements, prohibiting taxpayer funds from going to abortions provided to patients who receive their health care through the federal exchange and providing informed consent on abortion pill reversal.

“As the bill’s primary sponsor, I support the bill, because it carries out the will of most Americans who oppose their tax dollars subsidizing the abortion industry,” Barto said. “Polling consistently shows seven out of 10 abhor the idea of their tax dollars being used to end the lives of pre-born children.”

SB 1318 is headed back to the Senate for final approval before being transmitted to Gov. Doug Ducey. It passed the Arizona House committee on Federalism and States’ Rights on March 11, with an amendment that compels abortion providers to inform patients that their medical abortion may be reversed if they change their mind.

Kelley Dupps, a political engagement coordinator at Planned Parenthood, said she disagrees with Barto because the bill’s argument of taxpayers funding abortions is false.

“No taxpayer money is used in Arizona to fund abortions,” she said. “No taxpayer funds are used at the federal level either since laws exist explicitly averting public funds for paying for abortion. Proponents claim to protect the taxpayer from erroneously paying for an abortion — instead, Arizona taxpayers will be on the hook not only for court cases and lawyer fees, but for numerous medical malpractice suits for compelling doctors to misinform patients.”

Dupps said SB 1318 is “vague” and is piloted under “illegitimate science,” especially the component requiring doctors to inform their patients about the possible reversal of a medical abortion.

She said although SB 1318 has an exception for survivors of rape and incest, the bill is vague when it comes to how doctors would determine if the individual is in fact a victim of a crime.

Maggie Otlewski, President of Students for Life, said she agrees with Barto on how the bill is supposed to protect Arizona taxpayers and abortion pill reversal, but she also said the bill will even help ASU students.

“This bill affects ASU students who are Arizona taxpayers, guaranteeing that their money will not be funneled to practices they oppose,” Otelwski said. “Considering over 50 percent of abortions are performed on college-aged women, this directly affects the women of Arizona State choosing chemical abortion.”

ASU student and Young Democrats member Suzette Warren has been closely watching the bill go through the Senate and said she strongly opposes it.

“It’s 2015,” Warren said. “I can’t believe we are still fighting about women’s rights. This bill doesn’t just restrict college students; it restricts the rights of many other age groups. All this bill does is make it harder for women to have abortions. It does not do anything to benefit the woman’s health.”

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

×