Q&A with The Daily Wildcat: Previewing ASU hockey's Oct. 3 opener against Arizona

The State Press previews Sun Devil hockey's opener with Seth Pines of The Daily Wildcat.

Sophomore forward David Norris celebrates after scoring a goal against Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Sun Devil hockey begins its inaugural season in the NCAA on Saturday against rival Arizona. While much of the focus is on ASU's transition, the Wildcats are ranked No. 20 in the preseason ACHA Division I rankings. 

The State Press reached out to Seth Pines, the Arizona hockey beat writer for The Daily Wildcat, to provide insight on Arizona's team and help preview the opener.

The State Press: Saturday's game against Arizona will christen ASU hockey's NCAA era. While the game is obviously huge for the Sun Devils, how does the matchup at Gila River Arena also benefit the Wildcats, who are still an ACHA team?

The Daily Wildcat: The game benefits the Wildcats in a couple ways. It's always a great opportunity for UA to be able to renew their rivalry with ASU but this time its on a much larger stage. Many of the Wildcats have never played in an NHL rink before and they will be living that dream. But also, to be able to play a Division I program gives the team great exposure and an opportunity to face off against top tier talent.

SP: Who are the players on Arizona that folks should look out for? Did the Wildcats lose any top performers from last year?

DW: Perhaps the biggest loss for the Wildcats was their captain, Shane Gleason, who graduated following the conclusion of their season. UA is a very young and talented team with a lot of promise. Two players to keep your eyes out for are the Hogan brothers, John and Toppie. Both play alongside each other on the team's top line and their chemistry is evident, they always know where each other will be. Plus the fact both brothers are at least 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds makes them a great net front presence for the Wildcats. Also, keep an eye out on No. 3, Matthew Armenti. Armenti, a defenseman transfer from the University of Rhode Island, has looked solid in UA's first two games and is an offensive threat from the back end.

SP: With the start of an NCAA program also comes the ushering in of DI recruits for ASU. Even though most of them won't arrive in Tempe until 2017 or 2018, how do you see Arizona stacking up on Saturday?

DW: I believe Arizona will stack up well. UA played ASU in the last two games of last season and the Wildcats showed that they could play with ASU despite the fact they lost both games. If the Wildcats show up again with the same will and determination that they showed at the end of last season, we could be in store for a highly competitive game.

SP: What scheme does Arizona use? Do they put an emphasis on anything specific?

DW: Coach Chad Berman is always preaching back-checking and transition through the neutral zone. If the Wildcats execute their systems they will be able to hang in there with ASU, if not it will be a long night.

SP: You discussed Arizona's top performers earlier, but who do you think could be an X-factor or an underrated performer that ASU should watch for?

DW: An X-factor player for the Wildcats could certainly be No. 11 Roy Grandov. Grandov played very well in UA's first two games against NAU and scored twice against them last Saturday. Grandov is a grinder who wins a lot of face-offs and hangs out around the net and has a knack for banging home rebounds on the doorstep.

SP: What is the Arizona's outlook on the Oct. 3 opener?

DW: The team is extremely excited about the game and can't wait to get up to Glendale. Coach Berman is aware that it's going to be a difficult challenge for the team but he is very excited for the opportunity. Players have told me that they have been focusing on this game since the start of training camp and plan to make it a rough coming out party for the Sun Devils.

SP: What do you think are some keys to the game for the Wildcats?

DW: The keys for the Wildcats are pretty simple. They have to stay out of the penalty box and not take any stupid penalties. It's going to be an electric atmosphere but UA can't afford to take any frustration or dumb penalties by engaging ASU in post-whistle altercations. Garrett Patrick, the goaltender for the Wildcats will need to have a solid night and they will have to execute their system of back pressure to slow down the high powered ASU forwards. Also, shutting down the Norris brothers will be a point of emphasis as well.

Prediction?

Pines: 4-2 ASU.

Follow @SethPines on Twitter and check out his coverage of Saturday's game.

ASU hockey finishes third in final ACHA season

ASU hockey to call Oceanside home another season

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow @justintoscano3 on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×