'The Macey Show' to receive less air time in final season with ASU volleyball

Seniors Macey Gardner and Bianca Arellano will be featured slightly less in their final years as Sun Devils

Junior outside hitter Macey Gardner waits for a serve during the game against Colorado on November 2nd, 2014. The Sun Devils' late comeback attempt came up short vs the Buffs as they lost 3-2. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

ASU volleyball’s two best players are taking their role change in stride and with optimism.

Senior outside hitter Macey Gardner and senior setter Bianca Arellano are still featured, but their stats are expected to see a decrease.

Oftentimes, when star players see their roles lessen, they do not take kindly to the change. Whether it’s pride, ego or stat-chasing, something seems to get in the way and chemistry and morale suffer.

From the way Gardner and Arellano spoke after practice on Tuesday, it seems as though they’re happy as long as the team is successful.

“I’m totally okay with (the changed role,)” Gardner said. “It’s really good that we’re getting some key players involved in our offense.”

Both of their changes come from the additional depth on the team roster over the offseason. Junior outside hitter Cassidy Pickrell transferred from a star role at UC Irvine, and she’s quickly becoming a large piece of ASU’s offense. Not only is she an attacking option, but head coach Jason Watson said she’s a passer as well.

“She’s working her way into a fairly big role,” Watson said. “When you look at the load she’s going to have to carry us because she has to pass it’s going to be really huge.”

Pickrell, returning junior outside hitters Kizzy Ricedorff and BreElle Bailey and incoming freshman outside hitter Lexi MacLean will take some pressure off Gardner.

Last year, Watson often referred to the offense as “The Macey Show.” Gardner got 594 kills despite defenses focusing all their efforts on her. In the first weekend of play, she had only one more hit than Pickrell.

She doesn’t seem phased by the lower kill total that is to be expected with more options on offense.

“That just shows the growth of our team and growth of our bench,” Gardner said. "I’m not getting as many kills but my teammates are getting more and I’m totally okay with that."

Watson’s excited that Gardner won’t have to swing as many times, calling it “wonderful.”

“When you get to December and you’re in the NCAA tournament, that cumulative effect of swings has got to do something,” he said.

Arellano may also be better rested by December. The team employed a 6-2 offense over the weekend, in which Arellano and freshman setter Kylie Pickrell split time in the set.

“We’ll definitely split on the assists but I think there’ll be more collectively,” Arellano said. “(The role) wouldn't change too much really, it’s just a different look.”

She said that she’s not expecting her playing time to decrease very much, despite being subbed out on rotations where she would typically be in the front row.

Watson said the team is still tinkering with the 6-2 fundamentals, particularly while scrambling for the ball, and the offense might switch back to 5-1 during the season. If there is time with two setters, though, it seems as though Arellano’s games with 50 assists may be in the past.

She said she doesn’t care about individual stats.

“If the team is getting the kills that we need, the blocks that we need and we’re winning games, then it’s the opposite of disappointing,” Arellano said. “I’m very proud.”

ASU volleyball opened season with a 3-0 record

ASU volleyball goes 2-0 on Saturday, Macey Gardner gets kill number 1,700 in Sun Devil victory

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×