Why the world isn't ready for a female president

US NEWS CLINTON 3 LA
Home care providers and consumers meet in Los Angeles with former Secretary of State and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015, at Los Angeles Trade Technical College. (Barbara Davidson/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Let’s face it — America is ready for a female president, but world isn’t ready for us to be represented by one. 

We may have legalized gay marriage, marijuana (in some states) and inducted the first African-American president in America’s history, but a female? Is America ready to place a female into office? Of course we are. Other countries, however, are not ready to accept a woman as a representative of the U.S.

Ideal as it may be to be independent of another nation’s judgments, it is a luxury we are not afforded. Our diplomatic relations, trade markets and alliances are all affected by our political decisions. Which, unfortunately, means that another country’s perception of these choices severely alters our own stability.

In many countries, women are viewed as mere objects. They are bought, sold, used, abused and married off — without so much as a say in the color of their dress. In fact, many countries, Somalia and Uganda to name two, still use genital mutilation as a means of controlling women.

In an article dubbed "Fraternities Didn’t Invent Hazing," the ritualistic and grotesque reality of abuse is explained on a global scale and is terribly relevant to the situation many women find themselves in today.

While domestic violence is a pressing issue in our current society, the general disrespect of women has persevered internationally. Here presents the largest impediment for our electing a female president: how is any one individual to overcome this adversity while maintaining global diplomatic relations?

We can’t forget about our queens! Not Béyonce, not a drag queen, but a royal queen, more specifically Queen Elizabeth II. She is evidence that a woman can successfully fill a leadership role. She is perceived to be an effective and honorable leader; an inspiration, even, for women worldwide who aspire to become a political figure.

She is proof that overcoming said adversity is possible, plausible and respectable.

That alone will never be enough. Compensating meatheads will argue that a woman is too hormonal and too sensitive to successfully serve as president. “Talk about a mood swing with catastrophic consequences,” stated a friend of mine during the drafting of this article.

None of which is true, as we have briefly discussed, but these perceptions become as pertinent as facts when we are deliberating political relations.

Announcing a female president will be a risky decision for America, just as electing an African-American was. However, it will be done and it will be done well. It has been done well.

There have been female candidates dating back to the 1800s and female presidents who have held office in foreign countries. However, as a world power, such a forward step would be monumental.

So, maybe the world’s not ready for a female president, but it’s time we make sure that we are.

MSNBC features graduate student Jordan Hibbs as outstanding female student leader

The identities of female politicians

Reach the columnist at rblumen2@asu.edu or follow @500wordsofrayne on Twitter.

×