ASU hockey begins Division I campaign versus Arizona

The two heated rivals will square off at Gila River for what will likely be the last time

Sophomore goalie Robert Levin and defensemen Drew Newmeyer and Gianni Mangone defend their net from an Arizona attacker. The Sun Devils routed the Wildcats 7-0 on Jan. 30, 2015 at Ocean Side Arena in Tempe.

In its highly-anticipated opener, ASU hockey's inaugural Division I season is set to begin versus Arizona on Saturday, Oct. 3 at Gila River Arena in Glendale. The Wildcats, who are ranked No. 20 in the preseason ACHA Division I rankings, come in looking to avenge being swept at the hands of the Sun Devils last season. The puck drops at 7 p.m.

Previous result: ASU 2, Arizona 0

After two scoreless periods on Feb. 21, the Sun Devils broke the tie midway through the third period after a generous rebound let to freshman forward Connor Mailey’s sixth goal of the season. Icing the victory was then-junior defenseman Jordan Young, who ricocheted the puck off a Wildcat defenseman and into the net. 

Then-sophomore goaltender Robert Levin stopped 31 shots and earned his ninth shutout of the season - he also unknowingly tore his ACL sometime during the game, yet continued to play. ASU head coach Greg Powers said after the win, “Hats off to [Arizona], they played about as well as they could have.”

Players to Watch

Arizona:

No. 2 John Hogan (forward)

No. 6 Brian “Toppie” Hogan (F)

No. 3 Matthew Armenti (D)

The Hogan twins play together on the Wildcats first line, using their size and agility to crowd the net. Toppie Hogan, 6-foot-4 200 pound centerman, made his offensive presence known in the Wildcats 2014-15 season, scoring eight goals and eight assists in just 14 games played. 

A defensive transfer from the University of Rhode Island, Matthew Armenti, brings experience to the Wildcats blue line. Armenti suited up for 41 games for the Rams in 2014-15, collecting an impressive 24 assists, eight goals, and sat for over a half hour in the penalty box.

ASU:

#5 Brock Krygier (D)

#23 Jordan Young (D)

After naming Young one of three captains last week, Coach Powers and the Sun Devils turned to their most tenured, experience players to lead the young team. Senior defenseman Jordan Young remains the lone senior on the squad. 

The Arizona native has 91 career ACHA games played, and is expected to lead the Sun Devils’ defensive front this season. Likely leading a separate defensive pairing is graduate defenseman Brock Krygier, who earned Division I experience playing for the Michigan State Spartans in the 2014-15 season. Coach Powers said fans can expect Krygier to be a leader both on and off the ice given his experience.

Keys to Victory:

Arizona:

After multiple hard-fought losses versus the Sun Devils last season, the Wildcats will have to keep their composure in order to hand a loss to ASU in their season opener. Forward Robert Wilkinson and defenseman Anthony Rosetta both return this season for Arizona, earning 55 and 48 penalty minutes last year, respectively. 

Allowing a high-powered ASU offense to go on the power play spells doom for the Wildcats and places pressure on junior goaltender Garrett Patrick, who mustered a 3.82 goals allowed average in 29 starts last season.

ASU:

Although much has changed for the Sun Devils in the past calendar year, when it comes to beating Arizona, ASU will likely look to continue what has worked for them in the past. 

The youthful and quick Sun Devil offensive front, comprised of freshman forwards Joe Lappin, Jack Rowe, Jordan Masters along with redshirt junior David Norris and his older brother graduate forward Liam Norris, will look to fly around the Wildcat defense, throwing pucks to the net to build an early lead.

As a former ASU goalie himself, Coach Powers will look to one of his three goaltenders to fend off an early momentous barrage from what is sure to be a hyped up Wildcat team.

Predictions:

Justin Toscano (State Press): 5-2, ASU

Seth Pines (Daily Wildcat): 4-2, ASU

Chris Schubert (House of Sparky): 6-1, ASU

Chris Safran (State Press): 5-1, ASU

Q&A with The Daily Wildcat: Previewing ASU hockey's Oct. 3 opener against Arizona

ASU hockey names three captains for inaugural season

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu and follow @ChrisSafran on Twitter.

×