ASU football's defensive backfield reshaping in time for Saturday

The Sun Devils hope they've recovered enough to challenge UCLA

on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

With the ASU football team sitting at an unimpressive 2-2, an overlooked aspect of the team's early struggles is the lack of health and depth in the defensive backfield. With the injuries to team members, the players have had to make adjustments.

But with two days until the Sun Devils take the field again, redshirt senior cornerback Lloyd Carrington said he's ready to go.

"I feel great," Carrington said. "Ready to go face off against UCLA, just really ready to go out and compete with my brothers."

And those brothers need him back, as ASU has lost secondary bodies left and right this season. Sophomore safety Armand Perry is still out with an ankle sprain, redshirt freshman Tyler Whiley is back on the offensive side of the ball and Ronald Lewis transferred from the team, leaving the unit in a precarious position.

Freshman Kareem Orr, who was forced into the starting lineup after Perry's injury, said the team just has to move on from what's happened and keep getting better, something he believes is happening.

"We're coming about our lanes and getting everything together," Orr said. "We're tightening up now. With the injuries and everything we're getting together with what we've got."

In response to the lack of health, the coaching staff installed De'Chavon Hayes into the cornerback rotation in nickel packages. Hayes played well in practice, notching an interception during Wednesday's team tempo drill and impressing his teammates.

"He fits in great," Carrington said. "He's an athletic guy that can run and can be very feisty. (Those are) a lot of things you need to play the cornerback position."

Carrington added that he's been helping Hayes get up to speed on defensive calls and signals in the defense. He's a natural fit at the position, especially considering Hayes almost went to Clemson to play cornerback for the Tigers.

Despite the depleted unit and lack of continuity, Carrington said he believes that the lone issue remaining is game planning and making sure everyone is on the same page and saying this defense is ready to take off.

"The main thing for us is to go out and execute and understand the things we have to get done mentally," Carrington said. "Once we get everything taken care of in the film room and our game plan, the sky's the limit for us."

ASU football's matchup against UCLA a family affair

ASU football's Gump Hayes adjusts to new role

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×