ASU hockey overwhelmed in 5-1 loss to UConn

Four Sun Devils made their NCAA debut and all three ASU goalies saw time in net in Friday's game

ASU UConn Final Game Graphic

The Sun Devils dropped their second game in Connecticut of their three-game roadtrip to the Huskies, 5-1, in UConn's home opener in Hartford, Conn. Junior forward Ryan Belonger scored in the third period to narrow the lead before UConn scored their fifth and final goal on a powerplay.

In the middle game of ASU hockey's road trip through Connecticut, the Sun Devils struggled to keep pace with the Huskies out of the gate, falling 5-1 in at the XL Center in Hartford Friday night.  

Starting on the ice for ASU was graduate student Liam Norris at center, flanked by junior Ryan Belonger and freshman Jordy Masters.

Arguably the best defensive pairing of the year thus far started in front of senior goaltender Robert Levin: graduate transfer Brock Krygier and freshman stand-out Joey Raats. UConn had split their first two games of the year, and looked to move into the positive column in front of a home crowd at XL Center in Hartford, Conn.

UConn struck early and late in the first period, scoring three goals on both starting goaltender Levin and freshman Ryland Pashovitz. The Sun Devils were awarded an early power play, but fortune favored the Huskies during the penalty. 

Levin faced four shots, letting in an early short-handed goal to sophomore forward Kasperi Ojertankanen. Pashovitz took over in net for ASU in the 1st period, holding his own before being overwhelmed at the end of the frame. UConn would add two goals in the final five minutes and enter the first intermission up 3-0.

The Huskies picked up where they left off to start the second period, as senior forward Shawn Pauly scored his first goal of the 2015 season when both teams were back to even-strength. 

Pashovitz headed to the bench immediately after Pauly's goal,  allowing for freshman goaltender David Jacobson to make his NCAA debut. Pashovitz finished with 3 saves on 8 shots.

Through two periods, the Sun Devils went to the penalty box four times with defensive freshman Jake Clifford amassing four minutes of penalty time alone on two minor infractions: once for tripping and once for interference.

ASU got on the scoreboard a quarter way of the way through the final period, as Raats earned his third assist of the season passing to Belonger who scored his second of the year. Norris was later credited with an assist.

Whatever momentum was gained by cutting the lead to just three quickly evaporated as the Huskies scored another power play goal, extending their lead to an insurmountable 5-1 with 10:55 to go in regulation. 

The Sun Devils were tagged for two more penalties in the final period to bring their total to six. 

ASU's 17 blocks on the defensive end was not enough to keep the pressure off all three goalies, who faced a combined 41 shots from the Huskies compared to a modest 25 from the Sun Devils.

Along with Jacobson, three other ASU freshmen made their NCAA debut in Hartford: forward Cody Gylling and defensemen Liam McGing and Nicholas Gushue. Jacobson played 36:51 in net for ASU allowing only one power play goal while saving 28 UConn shots.

ASU will play their third and final game of the multi-week road trip against Sacred Heart in Danbury, Conn. on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Arizona time. 

The Sun Devils will then return to Oceanside Ice Arena for a two game stand against Division II Southern New Hampshire on Oct. 23-24.

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu and follow @ChrisSafran on Twitter.

×