ASU Softball: In the circle with Sun Devil pitching

With a transfer from University of Kansas, the ASU pitching staff is turning into a trio.

Arizona State University's softball team's new Adidas helmet is pictured on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2016, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, AZ.

If there’s one must-know in softball, it’s that pitching plays a major role in the defensive success.

At the collegiate level, pitchers can throw the ball up to 70 mph from only 43 feet away.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Breanna Macha posted an impressive season in her freshman year. She appeared in 45 games, starting 31 of them, leading the team to 18 wins. She was voted ASU Newcomer of the Year for 2015.

“I am definitely more experienced in this circle this year, especially having the new pitching coach,” she said. “I am just learning so much more every year.”

The new pitching coach she mentioned is in reference to Dallas Escobedo, an alumna who left a huge impact on the program. She graduated in 2014 after winning a national championship with ASU and appearing in the Women’s College World Series three times.

Macha had 152 strikeouts last season. Her ERA, standing at 3.69, was the fifth-lowest total of Pac-12 pitchers who appeared in more than 40 games. She reflects on the off-season as a period of time that was focused on her mechanics.

“I tried to get more spin on my ball.” Macha said. “Just trying to get more movement rather than trying to overpower and overthrow. That’s one of my biggest lessons from last year.”

Another player who added to the success of last season was sophomore right-handed pitcher Dale Ryndak.

Ryndak appeared in 38 games for the Sun Devils, starting 23 of them. Her ERA was 5.13, and she had a total of 82 strikeouts.

Both Macha and Ryndak were 2015 Pac-12 All-Freshman selections. They composed 90 percent of the total innings for the Sun Devils.

Joining the duo this year will be redshirt junior Kelsey Kessler. Kessler transferred out of the University of Kansas with two years of experience in the circle. She started 35 games at Kansas with a 2.47 ERA and 250 strikeouts, which ranked her 22nd in the nation for 2014.

She'll be expected to complete the trio for the pitching staff. 

"We're ready to go," Macha said. "We have 14 days, that's just the talk in the locker room."

Note: Due to editor's errors, a the throwing speed was incorrect and the circle was misidentified. It has been corrected.

Meet the students from Michael Phelps' Curtain of Distraction skit

Second half turnaround propels ASU women's basketball over Oregon

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×