Tempe Police: Man follows someone while making 'odd' gestures, violently resists arrest

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 33-year-old Mesa man was arrested Jan. 6 on the 1800 block of E. University Drive on suspicion of failing to appear in court, threatening or intimidating people, resisting arrest and possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

The man began following another man after leaving a McDonald's through a parking lot and intersection, police reported.

The man said he felt threatened by the suspect because he had made odd gestures with his body while following him, according to a report.

The man said he felt too scared to go home because his parents weren't home, so he walked to a local Circle K where a family friend worked, police reported.

After he walked in, the suspect watched him through a window for a few minutes before walking into the store, according to a police report. 

The man walked up to the other man and said, “So, you made it over here, huh?” as he was trying to leave the store, police reported.

Circle K employees called the police and the suspect was contacted by an uniformed officer, according to the report.

Officers attempted to arrest the suspect because they had an outstanding warrant for his arrest, police reported.

The officers took hold of his arms and the man began trying to pull away by flailing his arms and jerking back and forth, according to the report.

After searching the man, they found a hypodermic needle, a small bag of marijuana in his right sock, a lighter, remains of a joint and methamphetamine wrapped in foil, police reported.

Following the arrest, the man who had been followed started crying during the interview, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Tempe Police: Man attacks woman at apartment, claims she choked him

Tempe Police: ASU student killed in car shooting

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×