Corner infield positions still up in the air for ASU Softball

Both freshmen and returners are fighting for starting first and third base jobs.

Sophomore infielder Margaret Stahm throws to second after making the out at first in a game against the University of Kentucky on Monday, Feb. 15, 2016,  at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, AZ.

Sophomore infielder Margaret Stahm throws to second after making the out at first in a game against the University of Kentucky on Monday, Feb. 15, 2016, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, AZ.

The majority of the team’s defensive positions are set, but the starters for ASU softball's corner infield positions haven't yet been decided.

During the 2015 season, the corner positions were locked in with veterans who had years of college ball experience.

At third base was four-year starter Haley Steele. Not only did Steele anchor down on the third base side, she also played an important role in the batter’s box, leading the team with 69 RBIs and hitting 13 home runs.

At first base was three-year starter Bethany Kemp. Kemp was a major contributor to the offensive scheme for the team, driving in 49 runs and hitting 15 home runs.

Since the team lost Steele and Kemp to graduation, the corner spots opened up and are now fair game for the 2016 season.

There are a lot of new faces along with returning players that are looking to compete for these corner spots.

Freshman third baseman Taylor Becerra has seen a lot of the field during pre-conference play. Becerra appeared in 12 games, starting 10 of them. She has a .520 batting average and an on-base percentage of .613, which both lead the team.

Looking to compete at third base is sophomore Brynley Steele. Steele has started three of the eight games in which she has played. She has a total of five hits and seven RBIs, and helped secure a 9-2 win against Montana with her first career home run, a three-run blast.

Redshirt sophomore first baseman Margaret Stahm has started eight out of 11 game appearances. Stahm has a batting average of .190 and hit her first career home run against San Diego during the Kajikawa Classic.

Also competing for the first base job is Ulufa Leilua, who has started two games in seven appearances for the Sun Devils. With seven plate appearances, Leilua has two hits.

The pre-conference play is an opportune time for the players to display their abilities and fight for a spot on the starting roster. Head coach Robert Wagner faces the decision of finding the Sun Devils' starting corner infielders, who play important defensive roles.

The Sun Devils will continue their pre-conference play with the Diamond Devil Invitational starting Friday, Feb. 26 against Minnesota at 4:30 p.m. in Tempe.

ASU softball sweeps Littlewood Classic with 9-2 over Montana

ASU Softball finds strong start to Littlewood Classic

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×