ASU women's golf falls to Arizona, men's struggles to finish strong

Linnea Strom placed 2nd and Monica Vaughn 3rd for women, and Jon Rahm led the men's team with a 5th place finish.

Sophomore Monica Vaughn  hits the ball down the fairway at the 2015 Clover Cup at Longbow Golf  Club in Mesa, Arizona, on March 13, 2015.

Sophomore Monica Vaughn hits the ball down the fairway at the 2015 Clover Cup at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona, on March 13, 2015.

Day one in any collegiate golf tournament is spent feeling out the course, getting your feet wet in preparation for the days to come, looking to make birdies when you can while ultimately staying close to the lead. 

Day two is moving day. Fire at the sticks, climb up the leaderboards and try to secure a lead.

Day three is closing day. Finish what you started, picking your spots to pin seek while also skirting the trouble when possible.

For the men of ASU's golf team, the final day is the missing piece to their puzzle. 

Heading into the final day of the Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic, No. 6 ASU and No. 12 Texas were tied atop the leaderboard, both at two under par. However, after shooting an over-par score as a team in Tuesday's final round, the Sun Devils let another possible victory slip away.

The only men's golfer in red figures was senior Jon Rahm, who shot 70 to lock up another top-ten performance. Junior Jared du Toit was in close pursuit of his teammate with an even par in the final round (72), du Toit was able to secure his spot in the top ten as well, finishing eighth in the event.

Even with Rahm and du Toit leading the way, ASU recorded a final round 297 (+9 for the day and +7 for the tournament), dropping down into fourth place out of 15 teams.

The ASU women's team made the short trek to the city of Tucson to take part in the Wildcat Invitational at Sewailo Golf Course. 

ASU's junior-freshman one-two punch of Monica Vaughn and Linnea Strom once again provided the spark for the Lady Sun Devils.

Vaughn, who won the Pac-12 Player of the Month for February, looked to bolster her resume with the Pac-12 Tournament just weeks away.

Vaughn finished with a three-day total of 211 highlighted by a final round 68 that consisted of five birdies and one bogey. She finished the tournament in third place.

Vaughn's performance fell just short — only one stroke short — of Strom

The freshman put together rounds of 67, 68, and 75 en route to a second place performance, tying her best finish of the season. 

Even with the spectacular showings from the two afore mentioned individuals, the Lady Sun Devils fell just short of the title. 

With a cumulative three round score of 868 (+4), No. 14 ASU finished 11 strokes behind the host school, No. 12 University of Arizona, who tallied a three round score of 857.

Reach the reporter at Braxton.Fox@asu.edu or follow @braxton_fox_II on Twitter.

×