ASU softball pitcher Dale Ryndak's competitiveness has led to tremendous growth

With three pitchers on the roster, Ryndak has been revising pitches and growing mentally in order to be the standout.

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak makes the defensive play for an out at first base during the game against Houston on Friday, February 26, 2016, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

After a busy off-season, sophomore right-handed pitcher Dale Ryndak has made strides after an inconsistent freshman campaign.

Last year, she was one of two pitchers on the ASU softball team. She posted a 14-8 record and was awarded Pac-12 All-Freshman honors. However, her ERA was 5.13.

In 13 appearances this season, though, Ryndak has a perfect record of 7-0 and an ERA of 2.88 with 30 strikeouts.

Ryndak knew her rise ball last season was lackluster. She was unable to gain the necessary upward break on the pitch to change the batter's eye. With the help of co-interim head coach Letty Olivarez, the pitch developed during the offseason.

“They tried to help me with the rise ball last year and it was late in the season so it didn’t click very well, but the rise ball was something that we really wanted to add at the beginning of this year,” Ryndak said.

The focus of placement has helped Ryndak progress into a better pitcher, while the evolution of her new pitches has helped her gain confidence.

“I barley utilized a rise ball last year, and I have thrown that more this year than I have in my entire life,” Ryndak said. “I am more up in the zone than anything right now so Letty has definitely given me a rise ball that I’ve never had.”

Another accomplishment has been the improvement of her changeup and backdoor curveball. Last season, Ryndak threw her fair share of each pitch but wasn’t happy with the execution and overall results.

“My changeup has evolved, and I am super confident in that because I feel like I can throw it at any count, and I am for sure going to get a strike on it,” she said.

With a few tweaks and revisions, Olivarez said she likes the development of her pitcher.

“We worked a lot on her backdoor curveball, so she was able to develop something more on the inside part of the plate when her curveball wasn’t working,” Olivarez said.

Coaches and players alike have noticed her potential and eagerness to learn. Senior catcher Katee Aguirre has seen the development of Ryndak first-hand.

“The biggest change I’ve seen is her becoming a lot more mature and smarter in the game with understanding her counts and how to pitch certain batters,” Aguirre said.

Ryndak's ability to see the game mentally has been a strongpoint this season with Olivarez commending her for being able to step up on a whim during games.

“She has definitely accepted her role of being able to come in whenever we have asked her," Olivarez said. "I think that’s what makes her so good."

Ryndak works hard and is regularly described as a competitor who will give everything she has. Her competitive drive has been fueled this season with the addition of redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Kelsey Kessler, who added an extra arm to the Sun Devil pitching staff.

Last season, the pitching duties were primarily split between Ryndak and sophomore right-handed pitcher Breanna Macha. They combined for 90 percent of the team's pitches.

This year, the pitching responsibilities constitute a competitive edge between all three pitchers, making Ryndak work harder than ever before.

“We have to go out every single practice, and every time we perform and do our best, because that could be the last time we are throwing,” said Ryndak. “The next girl is just as good or better.”

Ryndak knew the road during college softball would be tough, but she takes everyday in stride with a great attitude.

“I knew people were going to throw things at me, and if they told me to walk on my hands and pitch then I guess that’s what I was going to have to do,” Ryndak said.

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×