Soria, Kessler lead ASU softball to win over Arizona

Kelsey Kessler pitched seven innings in a do-over game against the Wildcats.

Redshirt junior Kelsey Kessler throws a pitch against Arizona on Sunday, March 20, 2016 at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. Kessler pitched a complete game and ASU baseball won 3-2.

ASU softball avoided getting swept by rival Arizona with a 3-2 win on Sunday night.

Redshirt junior Kelsey Kessler started in the circle and looked to get some revenge after pitching in game one of the series against the Wildcats.

Kessler had previously noted that her mindset for the rest of the weekend was to erase the losses and move forward with the next game.

"It felt great to get out there again, and we knew we had to get this win," said Kessler. "We did what we needed to do."

Kessler pitched all seven innings, giving up only four hits and striking out six batters.

Co-interim head coach Letty Olivarez knew that she wanted to give Kessler a second shot in the circle against Arizona.

"The first game, (they) didn't get many hits off her," said Olivarez. "We wanted to throw her out there and see if she could spin it out again, which worked as a pretty good plan for us."

The Sun Devils faced Arizona’s ace pitcher Danielle O’Toole for the second time in this series. She caused problems for ASU in the first game of the series, and started hot on Saturday. She didn't allow a run until the fourth inning, after Arizona had hit a two-run home run to take a 2-0 lead.

Freshman designated player Ulufa Leilua sent an RBI single to put the Sun Devils on the board.

The fuel didn't stop there. Senior center fielder Jennifer Soria hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning to take a 3-2 lead.

"It feels good to provide for her (Kessler) when she's shutting everyone out," Soria said.

She also commented on the teams excitement when facing Arizona pitcher O'Toole for the second time this series.

"We wanted her pitching, even on the second day we wanted her back out there," she said. "We were excited to see her out there again and make those adjustment."

Arizona looked to steal the game in the seventh inning for the second night in a row, loading the bases with one out. However, Kessler shut down the next two batters, securing the win.

"I really buckle down in pressure situations." said Kessler. "But I just remember telling myself this was the moment people dream about, and I was glad to get the win."

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×