Tempe Police: Woman collects Target bags to steal clothes

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incident Thursday:

A 23-year-old Phoenix woman was arrested Feb. 3 on the 1800 block of East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of shoplifting and narcotic drug and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Officers arrested the woman for shoplifting over $1,100 worth of merchandise from a JC Penney store, police reported.

During an investigation, officers discovered that the woman had also shoplifted items from a nearby Target earlier that day, which she placed in her 2001 Mitsubishi Spyder, according to the report.

Earlier that day, the woman entered Target with no purse or other items, according to the report.

After entering the store, the woman picked up some empty Target bags before walking through the Target, police reported.

The woman removed one purse from a display and placed various clothing items inside of the empty shopping bags, according to the report.

The woman walked past all points of sale while carrying the grey purse and bags containing items without purchasing the items, police reported.

The Target surveillance system captured the woman shoplifting the items and placing them in her vehicle, according to the report.

Officers found the Target bags inside the car, and the stolen items totaled $401.79, police reported.

The search also revealed that the woman had heroin and drug paraphernalia in the center console of her car, according to the report.

During an interview, the woman admitted to shoplifting items and said she was high on heroin, police reported.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Aimee Plante.

Tempe Police: Man blames ‘baby mama’ for leaving cocaine in his car

Tempe Police: Drunken man thinks people are following him, threatens someone with knife

Reach the news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter.

×