Intensity, execution on display at ASU football's 11th spring practice of 2016

The Sun Devils brought out the "W" drill for the first time Wednesday.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Manny Wilkins (center) runs a drill during ASU football practice on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015, at the Verde Dickey Dome in Tempe.

ASU football's offense stood tall in Wednesday's spring practice while one of its key contributors got first-time reps on the other side of the ball.

"Wicked" by Future echoed throughout the Verde Dickey athletic complex in Tempe as the Sun Devils stretched and prepared for "another day in paradise," as their Twitter account has often put it.

Then, as per usual, it was time for the tackle circuit, where ASU split into groups based on positions as players worked on their speed, skills, strength and conditioning. For the offensive linemen, that involved tossing giant medicine balls to each other along with other strength and footwork-based exercises.

Redshirt senior left tackle Evan Goodman, the only returning starter from last season's offensive line, said he's had to take on a leadership role this season despite making his first career start at the beginning of last year.

"(I've adjusted by) being more of a vocal leader," Goodman said. "We lost a lot of games in the fourth quarter (last year) so it's all about finishing runs, finishing blocks, finishing plays, finishing everything."

Skill players worked on ball security for a portion of the tackle circuit, something that remains crucial — especially for quarterbacks — when facing a ball-hawking Sun Devil defense that was tied for third in the country in sacks last season behind the two most recent national championship participants: Alabama and Clemson.

ASU displayed its ball-hawking tendencies and competitive fire in the "W" drill for the first time on Wednesday. This drill involves players at multiple positions going at each other and trying to either prevent or aid the ball-carrier in his effort to score a touchdown. It was intense, to say the least.

The quarterback battle also remains a headline this spring, and once again on Wednesday the three contenders for the starting job split first team reps across drills.

Redshirt sophomore Manny Wilkins took first team reps in 11-on-11 drills during media availability, sharing the backfield with junior running backs Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage. Early in the drill, Wilkins found Ballage on a beautifully executed wheel route. 

Richard and Ballage have emerged as leaders this spring. On Wednesday, it showed, as the pair each broke off long runs against a typically formidable Sun Devil defense. Ballage's run went for a touchdown while Richard was brought down near the goal line.

While much of the rest of practice was business as usual, one player stood out on the defensive side: Tim White.

The redshirt senior wide receiver got snaps at corner for much of Wednesday's practice, an experiment that head coach Todd Graham said White has been lobbying for.

"He played corner and receiver in junior college," Graham said. "He's asked me (almost) every day of spring."

White said it was fun to be able to get on the other side of the ball again, something he said his junior college coaches allowed him to do on occasion.

"I played a couple of snaps in a game (at corner)," White said. "My coaches let me jump on the other side for fun. I'm a competitive guy — whatever you can do to help the team."

Notes

• In green (non-participants): Redshirt senior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola, junior linebacker Christian Sam, redshirt senior defensive lineman Edmond Boateng, redshirt sophomore defensive back Tyler Whiley, redshirt senior tight end Kody Kohl and freshman offensive lineman Marshal Nathe.
  • Redshirt freshman quarterback Brady White took second team reps in 11-on-11 drills and found redshirt freshman tight end Tommy Hudson on two consecutive crossing routes during the drill.
  • The other warmup song for the Sun Devils was "Any Way You Want It" by Journey, a stark contrast to the Future song that led off the playlist.

Related links:

ASU football's Jalen Harvey focusing on common theme: Staying ready

ASU football scrimmages for first time in spring of 2016

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×