'Trump 2016' written in chalk in various places surrounding W. P. Carey building

McCord Hall in the W.P. Carey School of Business pictured on Monday, April 4, 2016, on the ASU Tempe campus.

An unknown person tagged “Trump 2016” in various places surrounding the W. P. Carey School of Business Monday morning. Soon after, the phrases written were washed away.

According to a University spokesperson, students are not allowed to write on ASU property without prior permission from school officials.

“The University will allow students to chalk on the sidewalks as part of a club or organization activity with prior permission,” according to a statement from ASU. “The rules include, not writing on walls or stairs and using only chalk, not paints. The chalk will be removed during the next power washing.”

When it comes to political statements on campus, students are allowed to have signage and/or chalking, with approval, if there is an event or activity to go along with the promotion.

“As a general rule university crews are told to remove all political signs on campus, this includes chalking, unless it is for a specific program/activity agreed upon for a specific location and day,” an ASU spokesperson wrote. 

W. P. Carey School of Business doctoral student Scott Cowley said he was walking back to his car after he saw the words "Trump 2016" written on a walkway near the Sun Devil Recreation Complex.

"It was very interesting," Cowley said. "I saw it on the walkaway that's on the opposite side where the rec center is. You can’t talk about that or do something like that without it being apart of something bigger.” 

Cowley said he had been following the same chalking incidents that have happened at other universities, like the University of Michigan  and Emory University.

“Whether people have the same intent her as they do at other places, we have no clue," Cowley said. 

Related links:

'A' Mountain vandalism can lead to criminal charges

Vandals, funding dim prospects for Mill lights

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

×