Skill position players ease in new ASU football quarterbacks

The Sun Devils' elder statesmen have helped Wilkins and White get game ready.

Redshirt junior tight end Kody Kohl (83) attempts to catch a pass in the second quarter during the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2016, at Chase Field in Phoenix.

There's still no headway in the battle for who will lead ASU football onto the field against Northern Arizona in the season opener, and the rest of the offense is not about to give any hints.

Redshirt sophomore Manny Wilkins and redshirt freshman Brady White have, outwardly, been neck-and-neck since spring practice started, alternating first team reps in at least the portions of practice open to the media.

Wilkins led the first team during the two-minute drill in practice Thursday, going 0-for-2 through the air and was sacked. Meanwhile, White led the second team down the field, throwing a touchdown to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Jalen Harvey.

With so many distractions, young players can sometimes get caught up in the hype, which has allowed older, more experienced players to impart wisdom on the young guns.

Redshirt senior wide receiver Frederick Gammage said this is the most physical fall camp he's gone through out of his five with ASU, praising the commitment to competition from the entire roster.

"Coach Graham keeps saying that nobody's job is safe," Gammage said. "The best man's going to play, whether if they're a brand new walk-on or a fifth-year senior."

Gammage, who has caught passes from three different quarterbacks in three seasons as a Sun Devil, said he's been active in helping White and Wilkins off the field master the offense and build a rapport with the young signal callers.

"I've been in the film room more than I ever have," Gammage said. "Manny will be like, 'come on, let's go watch some film' or Brady will be like 'I'm watching film at this time' and I'll go over there and join them. Whoever steps on the field with us is going to be prepared."

Redshirt senior tight end Kody Kohl, though, has done his teaching on the practice field.

"I really just tell them when we're on the field and I notice something," Kohl said. But I don't really correct them too much because they're playmakers and I'm just going to let them make plays."

Players have gone out of their way to not show their hand on which way the team is leaning when it comes to the White v. Wilkins battle. Instead, they have displayed respect for both signal-callers.

"Both of those guys have done a great job," Gammage said. "They're both really smart on and off the field, getting us in and out of our checks, just making throws that they need to make. So they're both doing a great job."

The coaching staff has been equally coy about where each signal caller stands for when the Sun Devils take the field for the first time on September 3.

Kohl said he has good relationships with both quarterbacks and, while he doesn't spend much time off the field with them, he offers wisdom when he can to help each improve.

"I don't lean towards one side or the other," Kohl insisted. "I'm there for both of them and I hope for the best both ways. One will eventually start, but whoever it is, and I don't know yet, I'm going to follow them. I'm going to follow the other also because they're still a leader in my eyes."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×