ASU football's special teams prove dominant

Upperclassmen specialists have the Sun Devils in control

ASU junior kicker Zane Gonzalez prepares to kick during a game against Northern Arizona University in Tempe, Arizona, on Sept. 3, 2016. The Sun Devils won the matchup, 44-13.

Football fans, especially college football fans, often overlook the importance of special teams when it comes to winning games — and even championships.

If Alabama had a better kicker two years ago, the most infamous moment in program history would likely never have happened. Every week throughout the fall, distraught fans tweet out #collegekickers to vent their frustrations, but rarely are those fans of ASU.

With senior kicker Zane Gonzalez and senior punter Matt Haack at the helm, a unit regarded as a weakness two years ago turned into one of the most consistent in the Pac-12, if not the country.

Despite occasional offensive and defensive struggles this season, ASU's specialists haven't wavered, doing their job masterfully through the first third of the season — something Gonzalez attributes to offseason work with each other.

"Me and (Haack) both worked hard this summer getting better technique-wise," Gonzalez said. "And I think it's really showing a lot."

Head coach Todd Graham is not short on praise for Gonzalez and Haack and he’s acknowledged on multiple occasions how lucky he is to have two seasoned veterans on special teams.

"We're spoiled," Graham said. "He's been a major factor in every game we've had this year ... It's a great comfort to know that you only have to get to the 40 to get points, maybe even the 45."

Meanwhile in the NFL, teams have attempted to gain an advantage by pinning kicks inside the 5-yard line so their opponents have to return the ball. The Sun Devils have gone a different way.

Gonzalez, who began kicking off just a season ago, has booted the ball through the end zone 30 of 37 times and held opponents to less than 20 yards per return when he hasn't.

Despite the kick team's excellent coverage, special teams coach Shawn Slocum has elected to have Gonzalez try to boot it through every time, not that it matters to his kicker.

"I just try to kick it as high and far as I can," Gonzalez said.

Punting is a different story.

Haack, whose past inconsistency has maddened the Sun Devil faithful, has come out of the gates strong in 2016.

Through four games and 11 punts, opponents have returned just one punt for no yards, while seven punts have been downed inside the 20-yard line — forcing offenses to drive a full field to score.

"Matt has been absolutely incredible this season," Gonzalez said. "His end-over-ends, and his punts in general, just fly all over. He's been killing it for us so far."

Even redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins, who was officially ASU's backup punter a season ago, has been excellent. Picking up the pooch punting mantle from Taylor Kelly and Mike Bercovici, Wilkins pinned opponents deep on all three of his punts.

"We want to be aggressive, but we also want to be smart," Graham said. "We've utilized our New York punt and our pin punt with Matt very well."

On drives following ASU punts, opponents' average start position is their own 14-and-a-half yard line, which includes NAU starting on the ASU 45. On those drives, teams have scored just 20 points and given up two, compared to 117 scored when obtaining the ball any other way.

“Sometimes it’s not the way he hits it, it’s where they catch the ball,” long snapper Mitchell Fraboni said. “I guarantee you if they didn’t, he’d pin them every time.”

Just as they're at their best, Haack and Gonzalez get another weapon in Mitchell Fraboni, who played for the first time this season against Cal.

“Everything felt good,” Fraboni said. “I rely on the other 10 guys and they did a good job of keeping me in the know.”

Fraboni, who took over duties from Donnie Shields a season and a half ago, was strictly on punts against the Golden Bears, but has been practicing field-goal snaps all week to get back to full strength.

While praising freshmen Riley John and Cohl Cabral for their efforts, Gonzalez said getting Fraboni back helps knowing the snap will be the same every time.

"His snap is incredible," Gonzalez said. "With Mitchell, you know what you're getting. It's a confidence thing for sure."

Haack could not be reached for comment for this story.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×