ASU gymnastics' winless streak continues in home loss to No. 5 Utah

The Sun Devils couldn'the come back after the Utes set the tone early on in the uneven bars with an event season-high of 49.625

ASU freshman Jessica Ginn runs towards the vault during a gymnastics meet against the no. 5 ranked Utah Utes in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. ASU lost the meet 197.600 to 194.850. (Josh Orcutt/State Press)

ASU gymnastics fell behind early to No.5 Utah and couldn't recover in a 197.600-194.850 loss to the Utes on Saturday night in Tempe.

It was valiant effort for the Sun Devils (2-8, 0-5 Pac-12) against a conference powerhouse this season in the Utes (9-1, 4-1 Pac-12). Nonetheless, ASU is still in search of its first Pac-12 victory of the year.

Freshman gymnast and United States Olympian MyKayla Skinner was the catalyst from the start for Utah when she scored a 9.950 on uneven bars, which was the first of three consecutive scores of 9.950 or higher in that category. Skinner, an Arizona native, ended an outstanding night individually with a 39.750 total. 

So far, she's undefeated in all-around and bars this season.

Despite ending its streak of three consecutive meets with a new season-high in total points, ASU countered Utah's strong start with a hot beginning of its own. The Sun Devils began the night strong with a season-high of 48.725 on uneven bars. But the Sun Devils couldn't carry the momentum over to other events collectively throughout the meet.

A bright spot for the Sun Devils was freshman Jessica Ginn, who had been nursing ankle injury. She scored a 9.825 on vault and a 9.725 on the floor.

"My ankle actually felt really good today, especially coming back to vault and floor," Ginn said.

Another Sun Devil freshman who left her imprint on the meet was Ashley Szafranski. She scored a 9.85 on bars for her second consecutive competition scoring a 9.8 or higher in the event.

Szafranski said that the team is working on the minor details in practice and that it is translating over to the meet.

"We're also working a lot of pressuring things and team assignments are also really helping out," Szafranski said.

Next up on the schedule for the Sun Devils is a dual in the desert with in-state rival Arizona in Tucson on March 5.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×