ASU swim and dive delivers unique performance as men tie, women fall to UA

Both teams swam hard against rival UA, but neither is coming home with a victory

A member of ASU's men's swim team races on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017.

The ASU men's and women’s swim teams are headed back to Tempe, but neither can boast a win against rival UA.

The men's team fought to the end and did just enough to tie UA 147 to 147. ASU’s women’s team lost 180 to 118 – the third straight loss to a Pac-12 opponent.

All year the freshmen have been praised for their outstanding performances, but it was ultimately every other class who delivered against the Wildcats.

Senior Kat Simonovic had one of her best meets of the season, after placing first in both the 200-yard freestyle (1:45.71) and the 500-yard freestyle (4:43.28).

Sophomore standout Marlies Ross took first in the 400-yard IM (4:14.11) and second in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:13.39).

Heading into the rivalry meet, there were especially high expectations for one swimmer who has history with the Wildcats.

Former UA swimmer and graduate student Andrew Porter was able to bring home 13 points for the men as he placed first in the 100-yard butterfly (46.35) and second in the 50-yard freestyle (20.04).

ASU’s swimming freshmen class has carried a huge weight for the team this season, particularly on the women’s side, but in their first rivalry meet with Arizona, the weight seemed too much.

Freshman Chloe Isleta, who has led the women’s team in individual scoring all season, only added five points to the scorecard for ASU. Freshman Kendall Dawson, another season-long workhorse for the women’s team, struggled and only managed three points in three individual events.

Although the Sun Devils aren’t bringing a win back to Tempe, head coach Bob Bowman was pleased with both team’s efforts against the Wildcats.

“I am extremely pleased with how both teams battled the Wildcats,” Bowman said. “This year we chose to stay in a regular training pattern for this meet and our guys swam some great times.”

Both teams will begin to see their workload decrease as they conserve energy for the Pac-12 championships in Seattle. The women’s championships are Feb. 22 through Feb. 25, while the men will compete March 1 through March 4.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

×