No. 4 women's water polo falls to No. 1 USC on the road

Despite an early lead in the opening quarter, the Sun Devils were unable to take advantage of scoring opportunities

ASU junior goalkeeper Mia Rycraw leaps to block UCSB during a water polo game at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017.

The matchup started out hopeful for the No. 4 ASU water polo, but despite an exciting first half, the Sun Devils were unable to pull off the upset over No. 1 University of Southern California and fell 11-4.

ASU came into the match off a thrilling 7-6 victory last weekend against then fourth ranked University of California and hoped to repeat on Saturday.

The Sun Devils' defense forced four turnovers in USC's first opening possessions, which allowed them to get shots on goal, but USC struck first. Freshman Maud Megens scored the opening goal with just over three minutes left in the first quarter.

ASU responded quickly with a goal from Kayla Casas to tie the game at one a piece. As the Sun Devils headed into the second period, it appeared they were going to pull off another upset thanks to defensive powerhouse Mia Rycraw.

The Sun Devils took their first and only lead of the game at the end of the first period after junior Alkistis Benekou sent the team into the second period with a one point lead.

The Trojans answered back with a three-goal second quarter to take a 4-2 lead. The Sun Devils responded, once again, with a quick goal by freshman Bente Rogge – her 22nd on the season. 

After three quarters of play, ASU was still in contention after having several power play opportunities, but the Trojans wouldn’t allow the Sun Devils take advantage. USC went on a 6-1 run to end the match. The win for the Trojans marked their 52nd win in a row, the longest streak in women's water polo. 

The loss marked the Sun Devils fifth of the year and second against the Trojans this year, their first being a 12-2 loss Feb. 12. 

Despite falling to USC, the Sun Devils were able to hold the opposition to just eleven goals on the day, 4.5 shy of USC's average.

The Sun Devils may bounce back April 8 at 1:00 p.m. MST, when they take on No. 3 UCLA at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at klbroder@asu.edu or follow @KellyB1459 on Twitter.

×