ASU women’s basketball's win streak ends in 57-54 loss to Oregon State

The Sun Devils are now 4-1 in Pac-12 play

dcj-wbb.jpg

ASU sophomore guard Robbie Ryan (11) shoots a basket in the second half of the Sun Devil's 80-71 win against the California Golden Bears at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018. 

In the team’s third consecutive game against a ranked foe, No. 18 ASU women’s basketball lost to the No. 22 Oregon State Beavers 57-54 at the Gill Coliseum in Corvallis, Oregon on Friday night.

ASU had the lead for most of the game but couldn’t hold on as the Beavers took the lead in the final minute and eventually beat out the Sun Devils 57-54. 

The Sun Devils (13-4, 4-1 Pac-12) entered the game as one of two teams still undefeated in Pac-12 play. However, the Beavers (12-4, 3-2 Pac-12) have now notched their sixth consecutive win over the Sun Devils.

Oregon State’s senior center Marie Gülich finished with 20 points on 9-12 shooting from the field adding six rebounds and three blocks. Gülich came into the matchup averaging 16.5 points per game and three blocks. 

The Sun Devils finished shooting 35 percent from the field (6-21 from three) and made four of their seven free throws. The deciding factor in the top-25 matchup was the Sun Devils’ missed opportunities – they recorded 15 more shots than the Beavers.

Sophomore guard Robbi Ryan led the team in scoring, finishing with 19 points – tying her career high. Ryan fouled out with 18 seconds left in the game with the Sun Devils looking to tie the game in the final seconds. 

Gülich made one of her two free throws, giving the Sun Devils an opportunity to send the game into overtime. Junior guard Courtney Ekmark’s shot was blocked by sophomore guard Mikayla Pivec with four seconds left, which sealed the Beavers' come-from-behind victory. 

ASU faces another ranked opponent this Sunday, Jan. 14 at the Matthew Knight Arena, facing No. 8 Oregon (15-2, 4-0 Pac-12) at 6 p.m.

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman24 on Twitter. 

×