Politics Weekly Roundup: From transparency to USG vacancies

A look back at the week's reporting

USGweeklyroundup.jpg

Graphic published on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018.

Welcome to the tenth installment of The State Press Politics Roundup, where we bring you the week's coverage of on-campus and local politics.

This week, USGT Vice President of Services-elect Logan Miller announced that he is leaving before his term began, citing personal reasons and time constraints. Also, Gov. Doug Ducey signed a law that could void a Tempe charter amendment that would require nonprofits to reveal the identity behind donations exceeding $1,000. 

If you missed the last roundup, catch yourself up here.

In recent campus and USG news

Now hiring

USG operations have slowed since last month's executive ticket elections. But its efforts to fill vacant Senate and other staff positions have hit a wall. Some say that the amount of vacancies are unusual, as more than half of some posts remain unfilled, and some who have already been elected are leaving their positions.

The week's reporting

USGT vice president-elect leaves USG, highlighting organization-wide vacancies

Logan Miller, USG Tempe Vice President of Services-elect, poses for a photo on ASU's Tempe campus on Thursday, March 1, 2018. Miller has since left his position.

USGT Vice President of Services-elect Logan Miller announced he would leave his post before his term began, citing personal and financial conflicts. Miller's absence is another tally on a long list of vacant student government positions, which some current and former members say are a continuing symptom of the demanding amount of work the organization expects in return for little pay. Read more here.

Ducey signs bill attempting to block Tempe transparency initiative

Gov. Doug Ducey walks on stage to take his oath of office at the Arizona State Capitol in Phoenix, Arizona, on Monday, Jan. 5, 2015.

The Tempe City Council passed a measure that requires nonprofits to disclose the identity of their donors, which over 90 percent of voters supported. Weeks later, Gov. Doug Ducey signed a bill into law that essentially voids that measure and could wait to sign the Tempe measure until it is not in compliance with the soon-to-be law. Read more here.

Amid national controversy, 21 students drop out of Sinclair interviews

Students cross the street outside of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication building at ASU's Downtown Phoenix campus on Wednesday, April 11, 2018. 

Fallout from the controversy surrounding Sinclair Broadcast Group continues, as more than half of the students scheduled to attend a recruitment event involving the company dropped out. University faculty said they understand the students' decisions and said their objective is to give them the "opportunity to make the decision with what is their future." Read more here.

After Phoenix Pride, LGBT political representation is a yearlong issue

Panelists on the LGBTQIA+ Civic Engagement Summit Brianna Westbrook (left), Mark Robert Gordon (middle) and Tony Navarrete (right), pose with ASU political science and global studies junior Juan Hinojos Zapien (second from left) and biological and political sciences sophomore David Huff (second from right) in the Memorial Union on ASU's Tempe campus on Tuesday, April 10, 2018. 

Following the Phoenix Pride festival on April 8, the ASU Young Democrats and The Rainbow Coalition gathered for a civic engagement panel to continue the momentum. The panel included openly gay and transgender lawmakers who explored the representation of LGBT+ people in politics in their discussion. Read more here.

Leaders of ASU political clubs weigh in on why tolerance is vital

"Recent initiatives are bringing clubs of differing political parties together." Illustration published on Tuesday, April 10, 2018.

Reports continue to illustrate the severity of increased political polarization in U.S. politics; the general public continues to retreat to partisan ideas, becoming more ideologically consistent and leaving less room for compromise. But ASU political clubs are trying to change that trend, saying although their ideas may be different, the need for tolerance and productive discussion is more crucial to progress than ever before. Read more here.

Getting to know ASU's student government presidents: The West campus

Graphic published on Thursday, April 19, 2018.

Reporter Austin Westfall sat down with USG West President Tasha Snider to learn about her and why she got involved with student government. This is the latest installment in a series of interviews with sitting student government presidents. Listen here.

A look at what went into the making of the documentary 'Seeking Asylum'

This week, reporter Cassandra Laubach explores a documentary produced by ASU's New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences showcasing the efforts of students who traveled to Greece to help with its refugee crisis. The students spent two weeks in multiple cities across the country working directly with those regions ridden with war and famine. Listen here.

Reach the reporter at Anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNicla on Twitter. 

×