ASU women's hockey is becoming part of Arizona's hockey evolution

Members of ASU's women's hockey team reflect on their experience with AZ hockey

D75_2454.jpg

ASU then-junior forward Taylor England (7) leads a rush up the ice during practice on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The growth of women's hockey around Arizona has seemingly been strengthened by the culture surrounding the ASU's women's hockey team. Moreover, it can be embodied by three Sun Devils. 

Jordan Nash-Boulden

Junior goalie Jordan Nash-Boulden grew up as a Coyotes fan. From the moment she saw the players on the ice, she was inspired and wanted to play. 

"It was a big thing here for people to have ice skating parties, and I was always terrible," she said. "All the other girls went to figure skating, and I wanted to put the shin guards on."

The Arizona Coyotes and the state of Arizona have created a bond with youth women's programs such as the development of the Arizona Lady Coyotes, and even with youth leagues such as the Howler's Kids Club. Programs like these have helped in developing young female hockey players during adolescent and teenage years. 

However, when Nash-Boulden was growing up, she said there were only two youth women's programs in the entire state of Arizona.  

Erin Rawls   

Junior forward Erin Rawls comes from a family where hockey is praised. 

"My whole family is Canadian and (was) really into hockey when I was little," Rawls said.

Rawls watched NHL games constantly and wanted to try hockey out. At the age of 11, she laced up her skates, and the passion of playing the game took off. 

Once she reached the high school level, there were two paths to take – leave Arizona to play at a higher level, or play hockey at the local high school level.

Since that time period, growth in women's hockey youth programs has had a major jump, and with it the Valley has become the best option to continue playing the sport she loves.

"Most girls, when they get good, they leave Arizona and go to other places," Rawls said. "And now people are staying, and it's really awesome. Since we are investing in skills when kids are really young, they have ... a much better foundation than I did."     

Alisa Manny

Junior defenseman Alisa Manny often receives the question about how she got involved in hockey growing up. 

"My dad is from Ohio and he played in high school," Manny said. "He wasn't very good. I was better than him. It's bigger in the Midwest and East Coast, and so he got me into it, and also my brother played."

Instead of starting on the ice, roller hockey was her first step into the sport. 

Arizona is No. 1 in growth for youth women's programs, up 152 percent and nearly 800 players, according to AP News

With the first overall pick in the 2016 NHL draft coming from Arizona, Manny noted that other states notice  the growth of Arizona hockey.

"When I was growing up, people did not really talk about hockey at all," Manny said. "Now I'm driving around and seeing Coyotes stickers on the back of trucks. More people are aware of it, and that's great." 

With a vastly expanding league and the growth of hockey pipelines that are starting to develop in Arizona, the hope is that the development of hockey continues to increase.

Currently, the National Women's Hockey League consists of five teams. Earlier this month, former ASU assistant coach Katie McGovern signed with the NWHL's newest team, the Minnesota Whitecaps.

The ASU women's hockey program might only be a club team, but the team's expansion at a micro level could help future endeavors in the sport.

Reach the reporter at mmcquad2@asu.edu or follow @mmcquade24 on Twitter.

×