As a teen, ASU East nutrition junior Andrew Hodgson was an Illinois State bodybuilding champion.

This week, Hodgson, also a student government senator, will begin hosting a series of workshops to help others learn how to build better bodies.

The four-part Nutrition Series begins Thursday and continues each Thursday until April 29th. The workshops will be held from noon to 1 p.m. in the Physical Activity Center.

Hodgson organized, researched and will lead the sessions, which are geared toward non-nutrition majors who want to learn about modern health issues, labeling laws and supplements.

Guy Le Masurier, a Ph.D. candidate in the Exercise and Wellness Program, said Hodgson approached him about working on nutrition projects.

"I helped with the titles and he came up with the bulk of the ideas and did the rest entirely on his own," Le Masurier added.

Hodgson said the sessions would begin with basics.

"These workshops are targeted to people that don't know a lot about nutrition," he added. "I am attempting to tie nutrition to fitness and it is not on a doctoral level."

Hodgson said he would present information during the workshops and then have open discussions, answer questions and do a hands-on activity.

He added that he hopes to one day return to his high school hobby and be a manager for professional bodybuilders.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×