ASU East is now ASU Polytechnic.

ASU President Michael Crow said that the new name could be discussed and changed. But decisions to move several programs -- and eventually, about 12,000 more students -- to the campus, are not open to discussion.

Associate professor Ernie Hirata, president of the Academic Senate at Polytechnic, asked Crow if discussions will be held on the changes.

"Moving decisions are made and they are not to be changed," Crow said. "We are now looking for how can we do it and move forward."

Those changes include: a new general engineering program, a new presence for the College of Fine Arts, moving the real estate and physical education programs to the campus and creating a School of Industrial Administration.

People from the campus who attended the presentation had mixed feelings about the changes.

Jeremy Art, a golf management sophomore and a student participant in early discussions about the changes, said the new name fits the campus.

"This is very good," Art said. "I am excited about this -- the more vision the better."

However, Troy Adams, assistant professor in the exercise and wellness program, said the name is vague and elusive at best.

"I think the majority of students can't give a definition of what polytechnic means," he added.

Sarah Nucci, administrative associate in the Student Affairs Office, said that with the changes, deans of the campuses would have more pressure to foster or create relationships with investors.

"I don't see the deans doing this all themselves, they should tap experts for fund-raising strategies," she said.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×