ASU East's first Student Government Association is still in its infancy, but new officers say they're paving the way for the next year.

While officers are facing finals and academic schedules they have still managed to discuss and investigate some major campus issues like creating a budget, increasing transportation between ASU East and main campus, increasing visibility and student involvement and strengthening ties with the main campus government.

Mike Mader, director of student activities, said, the association intends to submit a budget to the dean of student affairs by the end of the semester. After final approval from the vice provost of planning and budget, "the students will know what kind of money they have to work with for events and necessary expenditures," Mader said.

SGA has also voted in agreement with the main campus student government to increase ASU student employee perks. SGA president Jon Russell said, "We seconded their proposal to give a 10 percent discount to student employees at the bookstore."

"The goals and dreams that we have at East are to start the next semester off with a bang and put our new (student) union to good use," he added.

Russell said he feels ASU East students are working together and have a voice at ASU.

"The students are finally becoming a force, and I really feel that the student body is beginning to mobilize and take ownership of our campus," he added.

Pradeep Mohanannair, senator for the College of Technology and Applied Sciences in the association, shares Russell's optimism.

"We have no obstacles. Since we are highly motivated and spirited we are ready to break any obstacles," he said.

Mohanannair has been interning at Intel and is "aiming to enhance the quality of technical education at ASU East" through his leadership in SGA as well as other student organizations. He has also been actively involved with increasing the transportation between ASU's campuses.

Mader said it would take about a year for the government to get its "feet firmly planted." He added that in many ways the government is still embryonic because the officers and senators are still trying to figure out what their roles are.

Russell said the officers are facing the same time management issues of any ASU student.

"So far the biggest obstacle that we have faced is scheduling, because most of us are trying to fit government into our schedules late in the semester after we've had classes going all semester long," he added.

Their schedules must include time for talking with students, Mohanannair said.

"We are also working on a forum to get the feedback from students," he added. "We will be coming with new office hours, which will be open for the students."

Russell said he is happy that students can share ideas with them.

"Students are always stopping us to talk about how things are going, give ideas, and voice their concerns," he said.

On reading day, the SGA will participate in a training retreat workshop with ASU East Dean of Student Affairs Gary McGrath.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×