New restaurants open in MU

082007-aramark

The Memorial Union and several residence halls received a summer facelift and are now sporting new eateries and convenience centers.

The new eateries are due to an agreement between ASU and new food service provider ARAMARK Higher Education. ARAMARK replaces Sodexho as the campus's food provider.

The MU now has several new restaurants, including Quiznos, Extreme Pita and Papa John's.

"ARAMARK has partnerships with many national franchise brands, and often those are the brands we'll offer on a campus," said ARAMARK spokeswoman Leanne Scott Brown. Some restaurants did not change because they are contracted with ARAMARK.

Recent enhancements were also made to the Manzy Square dining area at Manzanita Hall, and Devils' Bistro, a pizza eatery, was added to the Palo Verde Main residence hall. A dining facility was also completed at the Hassayampa residence hall, said Michael Coakley, associate dean of student affairs.

Three "hydrocarts," which are bicycles with built-in storage for water, will also travel around the parking lots so that students can hydrate themselves on their way to their cars, Coakley said.

Some students, such as nutrition junior Rachel Favreau, are happy with the new options ASU has to offer.

"I like that there is more variety," Favreau said. "I am a health freak, so I can get a sandwich at the little market [in the MU] and the pita place (Extreme Pita) is pretty good too."

Undeclared freshman Yvette Hernandez also liked the dining selection at the MU.

"I like that they have a lot of options, like Chinese stir-fry and Papa John's pizza," Hernandez said. "There are healthy options like Jamba Juice or the cereal place (Cereality), and then I like the Chinese food [at Jump!] and Chick-Fil-A."

Other students, however, were not so fond of the new offerings.

Nels Paulson, a sociology graduate student, wanted to see more local restaurants on campus.

"They have Mexican, Asian fusion, a pizza place, all they did was bring in all these big names," Paulson said. "ASU needs to bring in more local places."

The new restaurants are not healthy options, he added.

Like them or not, the restaurants will be at ASU for at least the next seven years, according to ARAMARK's contract with ASU. The contract can be extended to 10 years and potential first year sales are expected to reach $35 million, according to a statement from ARAMARK.

ARAMARK was chosen by ASU due in part to their commitment for sustainability and their goals to provide dining options in the Barrett Honors College community and the South campus residence community, according to the statement.

Sodexho and ARAMARK were two of the three companies ASU considered to provide food services to the Tempe campus, the third being Chartwells, Coakley said.

Reach the reporter at: amanda.chan@asu.edu.

New restaurants

Quiznos Subs – basement level Memorial Union –replaced Schlotzsky's Deli

Papa John's —main level food court—replaced Pandini's

Extreme Pita—main level food court—replaced Mediterranean Café

Zoca Mexican to the Max—main level food court—replaced Mein Bowl

Jump! Asian Express—main level food court—replaced Salsa Rico

Jamba Juice — near North campus parking lots (Lot 59)—replaced Maui Wowi

×