All freshmen required to live on-campus next fall

092508_freshmen
Film and media studies freshman Cody Ballentine shows off his kitchen at Grigio in Tempe Wednesday. (Morgan Bellinger/The State Press)

ASU will require all incoming freshmen to live on campus starting in fall 2009, University officials said.

Studies show, students who live on campus perform better academically than students living at home, said Michael Coakley, associate dean of student affairs and executive director of housing.

“National and institutional studies have continually shown that students who live in campus housing for at least their first year of study have significantly higher retention rates, persistence to graduation and greater involvement in campus life,” Coakley said.

The University is making room for next fall’s new freshmen with expansion projects. A new Barrett honors complex will bring 1,700 new beds to the Tempe campus, and an expanded Taylor Place at the Downtown Phoenix campus will house 1,300 students by fall 2009, Coakley said.

“ASU will have the capacity to house all first-year students,” he said.

The University will help students in need of financial aid to afford on-campus housing, Coakley said.

Additionally, he said, certain students can apply for exemptions, including those entering as a nontraditional freshman and those taking care of family members, Coakley said.

Students interviewed on Wednesday were mixed in their reactions to the University’s decision. But most said although living on-campus was a great way to meet people and become involved, the University should give freshmen a choice.

Marketing sophomore Monica Piekarski said she disagrees with the University’s assertion, requiring freshmen to live on campus will result in better academic performance.

“Dorm life isn’t for everyone,” Piekarski said. “Some kids academically do better if they live off-campus. … Our school has so many different kids from so many different backgrounds and that can interfere with grades sometimes.”

Economics sophomore Ben Piorkowski said while he strongly encourages freshmen to live at ASU their first year, living on-campus would just be too much of an economic hardship for some students.

“Let’s say they got a scholarship to come here, but they still had to pay $7,000 to live on-campus,” Piorkowski said. “That would really restrict them.”

Piekarski agreed, saying the requirement would be an unwanted financial burden for students after they graduated.

“It seems unfair to make [freshmen] take out more loans to come here if they don’t want to live on campus,” Piekarski said.

Coakley said the increase in freshmen next year would not affect housing options for upperclassmen.

“Upper-class housing will still be available and is optional,” Coakley said. “Towers, Cholla and Vista del Sol will remain available for upperclassmen.”

Reach the reporter at derek.quizon@asu.edu.

×