ASU's top golfers started young

091108_golf

ASU golfers Stephan Gross and Azahara Munoz knew at a young age exactly what they wanted to do.

Gross was five years old when his father, a golfer for 40 years, introduced him to the sport.

“He took me to the golf course, and I really liked it early on,” Gross said. “I couldn’t imagine being without golf.”

Growing up in Germany, Gross began practicing on the course almost everyday since the age of 10.

“I like being outside, playing different courses and playing with friends,” Gross said.

The practice paid off. In August, the sophomore golfer won the European Amateur Championship, ensuring him a spot in next year’s British Open.

Not bad for a young man who just turned 21 on Tuesday.

“I’m very excited about that, so many spectators are going to be there,” Gross said. “I love people walking with me [to watch], I love the whole situation.”

Not only will it give Gross a chance to compete on the big stage, it will also give him a chance to play alongside the professionals, including his idol, Tiger Woods.

“The big [amateur] tournaments are good,” Gross said. “But still, it’s great to see how good you are, see if you can keep up with them. It gives you a lot of self-confidence”

Gross’s journey to ASU began when he met coach Randy Lein while playing youth and amateur tournaments in Europe. He visited the campus and said he immediately loved it.

Gross said being at ASU gives him an advantage he wouldn’t have playing exclusively in Europe.

“Here you have perfect conditions in the winter,” Gross said. “In Germany, you can’t play in the winter. I always had problems getting back into it [in the spring].”

Now, Gross has no doubts about his career goals.

“I came here to prepare,” Gross said. “I don’t know when that will be yet…but I want to turn [professional] as soon as possible.”

From Germany to Spain

An eager father also played a part in Munoz picking up the game too.

“He is always the one who took me everywhere no matter what day or time it was,” Munoz said of her best friend’s dad, who got her started at the age of eight. “He opened a public practice range where you could go and play for free. It was great.”

At the age of 14, Munoz left home for a school in Barcelona. She played golf there before transferring to Madrid and then on to ASU.

Now a senior, Munoz said deciding on ASU was a simple choice.

“I played a junior tournament in Scottsdale, and I loved it here,” Munoz said. “[Also] two Spanish guys used to be on the team who I knew.”

A couple years later and she is one of the top women in NCAA golf.

In fact, Munoz became ASU’s ninth NCAA individual champion last year and then finished second in the U.S. Amateur Open.

Golf World has also listed her as the No. 2 in its “Top 10 Female Players To Watch” this season.

In her final season of collegiate golf, Munoz said she is going all out.

“It’s my last year, [and] I want to enjoy it the most I can,” Munoz said. “All we want to do is win [the NCAA championships]… hopefully.”

Reach the reporter at cyrus.karimi@asu.edu.

×