For those who are new to metal, it may be difficult to know where to start the headbanging. There are so many bands and genres to choose from, how does one know which is right?

It’s always good to start from the beginning. Black Sabbath is considered the first metal band, so try listening to “Black Sabbath.” The sound is dark and foreboding, but it’s where metal started.

Punk fans might enjoy the fast-paced feel of Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades.” Motorhead is even known to do cover songs by The Ramones during concerts.

For a more melodic sound, try Iron Maiden’s “The Number of the Beast.” Iron Maiden’s frontman, Bruce Dickinson, has a voice that can carry and send shivers down the spine.

Those who lean more towards the weird and unusual will enjoy Arizona’s own Alice Cooper and his album, “Welcome to My Nightmare.” Alice Cooper has sung songs about dead babies, and he likes to chop his head off during concerts.

Classical music fans will appreciate the operatic feel of Judas Priest’s latest album, “Nostradamus.” It still uses metal elements but is infused with a classical edge.

Metallica is often seen as more main-stream, and their album, “Master of Puppets,” has wide appeal. Their song, “Master of Puppets,” from the album was featured in the popular film Old School.

Finally, if the bands above are not hard enough, try listening to Slayer’s “Reign in Blood.” If their guitar riffs and drum beats don’t inspire a good head bang, then nothing will.

— Theresa.Dillon@asu.edu

×