Students find deals at non-ASU parking lots downtown

A new parking lot is open near the Downtown Phoenix campus, and some ASU students are finding it more convenient than University-sponsored parking.

The lot was originally used as commercial parking for nearby businesses on a smaller scale, said Leon Woodward, owner of U.S. Parking Systems.

The 288-space parking lot opened at Central Avenue and Fillmore Street in time for the fall semester to supply parking for college students.

Each of Woodward’s eight parking lots cost $5 for up to 12 hours. Since parking is limited downtown and many of Woodward’s lots are close to campus, they can fill up quickly.

“The small lots next to the YMCA are full all the time,” Woodward said, adding that some other lots usually have open spaces.

Nursing freshman Rachel Rodriguez said she always parks in the new lot. She said she has no problems finding a spot, but she also arrives at 8 a.m.

“I did the math; it’s cheaper,” Rodriguez said. “It’s also closer than most [ASU] lots that didn’t sell out.”

U.S. Parking Systems’ low prices are the main reason why people park there, and Woodward said he plans to keep it that way.

“ASU doesn’t compete with us because they are overpriced at $12 a day,” he said. “If we ever raise the price, it will never be as high as the ASU rates are.”

According to ASU Parking and Transit Services, however, the University does not feel compelled to fight for sales from U.S. Parking Systems.

“Most of the students who are parking there wouldn’t buy permits anyway,” said Cherie Hudson, Downtown parking and transportation manager.

One student, however, disagreed with Hudson.

Journalism freshman Janessa Hilliard said she was not aware students could park in the new lot.

“That’s why I paid a ridiculous $780 for a permit,” she said. “If I’d have known, I would have definitely parked there.”

ASU Office Specialist Julie Aguayo agrees that most students she has heard from would rather park in U.S. Parking Systems’ lots.

Since there is limited parking in the growing city, parking costs tend to be pricey. Aguayo said students tell her it is much harder to park downtown than on the other campuses.

“There’s more demand for parking and not enough to go around,” she said.

Reach the reporter at Jolie.McCullough@asu.edu.

×