Tempe residents voice concerns about homeless

092508_Homeless
A group of people relaxes at Escalante Park in Tempe. Residents in the area are outraged by high levels of crime in and around the park. (Matt Pavelek/The State Press)

::Correction Appended::

More than 150 Tempe residents are angry about the dangerous and criminal behavior of the homeless population in their neighborhood and are seeking solutions.

Residents living around the Escalante Community Center attended a Monday meeting — facilitated by members of the Tempe City Council, Tempe Police Department and community center staff — to voice their concerns about crime in the area.

Citizens stood one after another to list concerns including public urination and defecation in the park and alleys, drug use, prostitution and harassment.

University Drive and Apache Boulevard define the Escalante area on the northern and southern borders and Price and Smith roads form the eastern and western borders, respectively.

Many residents raising concerns were those with children attending Thew Elementary located directly south of Escalante Park.

Tempe resident Sonya Chavarria, 49, said public drug and alcohol use in the area is out of control.

“My son and I had to step over a syringe on our way to school last week,” she said. “It’s too much. I shouldn’t have to explain what that is to my child.”

Chavarria, a science teacher at Gililland Middle School, said the Tempe Elementary School District boasts that the schools are in close proximity to community parks with playgrounds and resources for children. But kids are not safe or welcome in Escalante Park, she said.

Alice Anderson, a crossing guard for Thew Elementary, said students are afraid to be near the park.

“I have seen the homeless throw bottles and try to grab children,” Anderson said. “They yell vulgar obscenities and coax kids to come talk to them.”

They also treat the park like a public restroom, she said.

Residents resounded complaints about their property values decreasing because of the behavior and number of homeless men and women living in the park.

“I call a Realtor and no one wants to sell my home,” said Joann Moore, 67. “This neighborhood looks like a third-world country, and the only way to get out of here is to give my house away.”

Moore said transients in the park regularly harass her verbally and have tried to harass her physically.

“I don’t feel safe being outside of my home after dark,” she said. “Am I supposed to be suffering because I paid my dues and they want to give our park away to the homeless?”

More than 10 officials from the Tempe Police Department listened to the concerns.

Police Chief Tom Ryff said the department is familiar with the crime in the area.

“I don’t just work here,” he said. “I’m part of your town. I raise my family in this community. I still live here.”

Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Carbajal said the station takes the issues seriously and is working to improve.

“Every division will be working to control this,” he said.

Carbajal said the department plans to do extra patrols, send officers on horses when problems arise and the traffic unit when possible.

“We’re working to address these issues,” he said. “Our focus is high visibility and presence.”

The concerns were raised by residents of neighborhoods in eastern Tempe.

Reach the reporter at tessa.muggeridge@asu.edu.

×